Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Felix the Cat
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with this...when the A/C is on and I out the 200sx in gear the engine is making a weird noise like a belt is sqeaking or something....Just had new belts on this car about 4 months ago. I want to get this fixed but hate going somewhere cause they charge ungoddly amount and they also find something else that HAS to be fixed.
Any suggestions?
Tom

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Has anyone retensioned the belts since you had new ones put on? Usually belts will stretch a little after they're relplaced and almost always have to be retightened. You could spray some belt dressing on it to see if that is indeed the problem. It only does it when in gear or will it do it if the car is sitting and the air is turned on? I can't say for sure, but I don't think sentra's have spring loaded belt tensioners do they? If they do then your belt shouldn't be squealing even if it did stretch a little.

·
Felix the Cat
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but checked that and this noise was there before and after the belts was replaced....it's weird that is only makes the noise if I go out of Park and into Drive....and only if the A/C is on.
The 200/Sentra does really have a spring loaded pully for the belts. Its more of a tension bolt...which is a pain is the ass to adjust...I have a garage do this and they are actually pretty good.

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
this may sound a little crazy.. but check the fans.. im willing to bet that the squeak.. is comming from the fan actually.. can you spray some WD40 on it? id try that.. Travis

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
it's not really a spring loaded tensioner, but a mechanical screw-type adjustment, although i would guess that it could either be the tensioner pulley or the compressor clutch, since this only happens when the a/c kicks in, right?? and also, don't use belt dressing, it's basically just silicone lube that will dry up later and noise will be back, and it will just accumulate dirt and dust, and more noise.......

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
A similar thing happened to my old acura. The belt is skipping over the pulley for the AC. The AC has tremendous resistance to the belt movement so wither its a misaligned pulley, the belt isn't on straight, it's too tight, or your AC is faulty.

Seth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts