Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i'd kill two birds with one thread here. Ok so I've been getting a sort of "thud" noise when i shift, usually in the lower gears. If I'm REALLY gentle with the clutch it won't happen but it's annoying nonetheless. I also feel like a rubber on metal rattling when i go over rough road sometimes. I heard this could be a worn engine mount so I asked my mechanic to have a look. He said the rear mounts looked ok but was puzzled by the front one (behind the radiator, just under the fan). I'm not an engine guy here so please bear with me. The bushing or whatever it is that fits into the larger hole and can be popped out is ummm, floaty, ie. it moves around a lot. Is it supposed to be like that? Should I be looking to get a new mount? Second, my passenger side daytime running light is out. It does come on once in a blue moon and the headlights and highbeams work so i don't think it's the bulb. Is there anything a newb can do about this or should I go back to the shop?

·
..::SR20 MuthaF*%@#$::..
457 Posts
-get a new harness for the light at a local shop like o'riellys ,
-and the readiator mount is a secoundary mount. my car did the same . sounds like the engine is banging on the fire wall. u should purchase new engine mounts. its like two sumthing at the nissan dealer ship. but probably cheaper at autozone. there is 4 mounts. u can also buy inserts for them but i recomend u fix it asap. it starts to twist up the linkage and krap. [or just mine did]

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same problem with the day running lights. Does the driver side run the high beam at full intensity (DRL´s on B13´s run the highbeam at 6V instead of 12)? If so your DRL module has probably gone bad. You can buy one from Morrey Nissan for $150 CAD (ripoff) or you can go to a junkyard on Annacis Island/Richmond and try to find one. If you are cheap like me you can take the DRL module out (It´s on the driver side pannel near the pedals) open it with a saw, resolder all the conections, tape it up and see if it works (I did that about 8 months ago and it´s still working). If you need help with that pm me and I´d be glad to help you since we live in the same city.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Daytime running light module

I am having the same problem. Sent you a PM to ask directions on how to disassemble the daytime running light module, or if you have any tricks.

Thanks from Abbotsford.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Motor mount experience

Can't tell you anything about your lights.

And this is the first I've heard of secondary engine mounts. I'll have to look at my car. I thought maybe a primary mount was bad (and it was), but if there are secondaries, it stands to reason they might have absorbed some abuse.

Here's what I can tell you about the primary passenger-side mount (which is up top, just in back of the coolant overflow reservoir--which is something you'll want to pull out of the way if you replace the mount):

I don't have a manual--it's a 4-speed automatic--but aside from kind of an ugly growl if I had to goose it in reverse, the first real sign I had of the mount failure was vibration with engine braking (foot off the gas going down a long hill) and on certain bumps when the right front had to dip suddenly.

It made a nasty sound like something was rubbing (almost like the right front tire was rubbing on something), and the vibration got progressively worse--but if the car was under positive load (pulling uphill, acceleration on the flat or cruising out on the highway), it wouldn't do it at all.

So I had been thinking: Wheel bearing? CV joint? Half-shaft? Thrust bearing? Something weird in the strut tower? Motor mount was just one candidate--and I'm delighted it turned out to be the one. It was an easy job to replace.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
92 Sinatra said:
Can't tell you anything about your lights.

And this is the first I've heard of secondary engine mounts. I'll have to look at my car. I thought maybe a primary mount was bad (and it was), but if there are secondaries, it stands to reason they might have absorbed some abuse.

Here's what I can tell you about the primary passenger-side mount (which is up top, just in back of the coolant overflow reservoir--which is something you'll want to pull out of the way if you replace the mount):

I don't have a manual--it's a 4-speed automatic--but aside from kind of an ugly growl if I had to goose it in reverse, the first real sign I had of the mount failure was vibration with engine braking (foot off the gas going down a long hill) and on certain bumps when the right front had to dip suddenly.

It made a nasty sound like something was rubbing (almost like the right front tire was rubbing on something), and the vibration got progressively worse--but if the car was under positive load (pulling uphill, acceleration on the flat or cruising out on the highway), it wouldn't do it at all.

So I had been thinking: Wheel bearing? CV joint? Half-shaft? Thrust bearing? Something weird in the strut tower? Motor mount was just one candidate--and I'm delighted it turned out to be the one. It was an easy job to replace.
LOL, I actually replaced my sentra with a different one but even on my newer B13 (just over 50000 miles on it) I get chattering when I'm in reverse.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Chattering vs. growling

I don't mean to split hairs, but I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.

I think of chattering as being more of a high-pitched & rattly sound than what I heard before I replaced my engine mount. For instance, my valves chatter a bit under mild acceleration. I need to adjust them, but it's not like the engine will blow up if I postpone it. (Just wish I could think of an alternative to letting the dealership do that.)

But this growling I was getting: Man, that was a deep kind of throaty warning sound, with a vibration. The kind of thing that would have made me put the car in park and turn off the engine if it were continuous.

Chattering you can afford to ignore; growling, now, you'd better pay attention.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
92 Sinatra said:
I don't mean to split hairs, but I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.

I think of chattering as being more of a high-pitched & rattly sound than what I heard before I replaced my engine mount. For instance, my valves chatter a bit under mild acceleration. I need to adjust them, but it's not like the engine will blow up if I postpone it. (Just wish I could think of an alternative to letting the dealership do that.)

But this growling I was getting: Man, that was a deep kind of throaty warning sound, with a vibration. The kind of thing that would have made me put the car in park and turn off the engine if it were continuous.

Chattering you can afford to ignore; growling, now, you'd better pay attention.
What I'm talking about is probably my engine/tranny mount or maybe even a clutch problem. But it only happens when i creep in reverse so i can live with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts