Nissan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about uying an unortodox pulley and a exhaust, where is the cheapest place to have these installed, a guy at what used to be Car Toyz here in MD said the exhaust would be liek 50 bux to install at midas, but what bout the pulley and where is the best place to do this?

thanks

·
Search Whore
209 Posts
yeah man you'll lose power LOL...Here's the logic: you see the engine will blow out more air than it's sucking in causing major power loss yo! Please...

·
Search Whore
209 Posts
inexpensive exhaust for a ga16:

Buy 3 2" 180degree mandrel bends here:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml?ITEMID=4063&BQ=jcw2

For a muffler would reccomend a magnaflow:
(click on pricing)

http://www.a-1performance.com/magnaflow/

go to discount auto parts and buy a 24" glasspack (aka cherry bomb) make sure it has a perforated core. ~$15

Ask around your area for a good exhaust shop. usually midas and places like that suck. find someone that listens to you and understands what you want. labor should be about $75 no more than $100 Check out sentra.net and read the tech sections. search these forums. you should be able to build your a real nice exhaust for around $300. And it'll be done right the first time. trust I have wasted may too much on mine.

·
Search Whore
209 Posts
PS I would use a street series magnaflow on your car the race series would be really load and offer no real advantage unless you had a turbo. also the oval mufflers are quieter than the round ones. Hope this helps

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
I would worry about the breathing of car before you buy pulleys....just my 2 cents

Listen to everyone else regarding buying an air intake. The breathing of the car is the most important early mod. you can do. Additionally, the 200SX does not get very good gains through an exhaust. It wold be much wiser to buy an intake and headers before exhaust. Exhaust should be the last mod. in the breathing of the car (contrary to most ricers who believe it should the first and only performance upgrade :rolleyes: ).

·
Search Whore
209 Posts
a well designed exhaust on a ga16 gains 6-7 hp according to Mr Kojima. CAI and header are defiantely worth the money. I'm not saying one is better than the other. They all compliment each other. but saying you'll lose hp if you have an exhaust without an intake is totally incorrect. thats the point I was trying to make.

·
Search Whore
209 Posts
Oh and rbloedow thanks for pointing out the search button :p. I always have trouble finding that darn thing.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
I agree with everyone about the Exhaust but not about the pulley. Everyone knows the A/C makes our cars lag, the pulley will decrease the lag when the A/C is on. This makes about 1-2 HP. Although I dont see why you would race with the A/C on anyways but oh well. I have a HotShot Cold Air Intake and I love it. Definitely worth the money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the ideas guys, the pnly reason i was thinking about a pulley is because since the day i bought the car the belt has squeaked and i have tried everything and anything to fix it and the Nissan dealers say it is just a characteristic of the car. I was hoping maybe a pulley would stop it.

ANother question though, if i get hotshot headers, is there a better gain with a hotshot CAI or a placeracing CAI?

thanks

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
I know I will have people disagree but oh well....

Hotshot makes the best performance upgrades for our cars. You WILL definitely pay more but I believe the higher quality, easier installation, and better performance is well worth the extra $. I have a HS header and it produced an awesome gain (~10-12 hp), it was a simple installation and perfect fit, and it sounds great. There is a big debate of HS vs. Pacesetter. You can buy the Pacesetter for MUCH cheaper than the HS. However; people have nightmares w/ installation, they crack because they are made w/ cheap material, and they do not produce as much gain.

Concerning pulleys....I am definitely NOT downplaying the performance gains of pulleys. For $200, they are definitely worth it. However; IMO, one should worry about upgrading intake/headers/exhaust before moving on to other projects.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
I agree with Zeno but would like to add something. Pacesetter copied HotShot's old design of the headers but at the same time Hot Shot redesigned its headers making more power on our cars. I will definately be getting HotShot headers but not until February cause Christmas is going to be killer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts