Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '93 Sentra with a 1.6L engine and an automatic transmission. Sometimes the engine misfires when I accelerate from a stop. This happens regardless of whether the engine is hot or cold, although it is more common for it to happen while cold. The engine does not misfire at all while the car is in neutral.

This seemed like a spark plug issue, so I inspected the spark plugs. The plug to the farthest left had oil seeping from where it was screwed in, which made it difficult to remove because the oil was burnt, cementing the plug in place. I eventually removed it and saw that the end that goes into the engine was white, which, I was told, indicated a lean fuel mixture. The last three plugs had no oil leakage and were light brown in color.

What is causing the first cylinder to burn lean? I have tried fuel injector cleaner before, but it didn't do anything. I had a car-savvy friend check the distributer, but it appeared to be fine (although it will need replacing within another year or so).

·
Registered
31 Posts
try putting new plugs in. if its not all the time like you said its probably them. Those cars do have a problem with injectors failing though. try and ohm them. spec. is around 12-14 ohm. hope its helpful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that I have already replaced the spark plugs. Thank you for the ohm specifications though. I'm not exactly sure how to test it though... I have a multimeter; is this the right tool to use?

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeah a multimeter is what you need.. you set it to ohms (its the arch looking symbol) and but the leads on the two connections on the injector and see what it reads, if its outside of the allowable range, the injector is bad and needs to be replaced

1 - 4 of 4 Posts