Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Nissan Sentra GXE with just over 215,000 miles. I was driving to work today when the engine lost power, regain power for a second, then shut off. The check engine light was also flashing on and off during the process. Coasted to the side of the road, the engine cranks over and will start after cranking it a bit [simular to the flooding issue type start] the engine starts, runs, then shuts right back off. Got the car to the shop today and they were able to just start looking at it before closing. The tech had started to do a compression test and noted compression was low on cyclinder 1. Anyone else been down this road before? What possible "problem occured here and what am I looking at for fixing it? Thanks.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Answers?

Did any1 get back to you on this?
I'd like to hear from some experts on this query, as I seem to be running into the same issue.
It sounds like a timing issue, (reason for the low compression seen).
Is it a timing chain-belt issprobelm, or an ECM timing problem?
BTW - where is the ECM on a '98 nissan sentra GXE?
thanks to all

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,237 Posts
behind the center stack near the top of the tunnel....
yes others are starting to report jumped timing, broken valves ( not bent !!) from timing chain issues...
See how many cylinders are low, could be a blown head gasket as well....
It could also be something less severe, what code is in the ECU ?
Distributor rotor is common, What else ... anyone?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did any1 get back to you on this?
I'd like to hear from some experts on this query, as I seem to be running into the same issue.
It sounds like a timing issue, (reason for the low compression seen).
Is it a timing chain-belt issprobelm, or an ECM timing problem?
BTW - where is the ECM on a '98 nissan sentra GXE?
thanks to all
Well no one from here ever jumped in on this subject until now. Anyhow, a week after my incident, I have a used engine in my 98 Nissan. After getting my car back Friday and driving it home I noticed a huge difference in this engine verse the original engine that had 215,539 miles on it. After noting the difference in power and quietness of this "new" engine, if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say the old engine was tired and on its way out. The old engine had the tendency to make a bit of ticking clattler whenever it was cold out and close to oil changes ...like sticky values or something ...not a timing chain noise. The noise would go away after the engine warmed up.....yeah not an ideal situation to have strange noises occuring but thats what was happening. Anyhow...,that where I stand now..ready to ride another 200,000+ miles.:)

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,237 Posts
Sounds like piston slap, yes it seams like around 220K miles the 1.6 is getting tired.
Pleased you sorted it out and have a good solution.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Man I liked this thread till he told me about what his sounded like before it grenaded it self. Not to far from what mine sounds like. Time to buy and rebuild another one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts