Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo, aight heres my dilema. i live in manitoba canada, and i just saved up a few g's. i have my 91 240sx with a kit on already needing an engine. i read through all the arguments about the rb28's the sr20's the ka20's and what not. they all sound great. to be honest im not looking to be the fastest car in the universe but i still want to chew up my friends z24 cavaliers, neon r/t's, and not to mention the civics... what i need to know is can i even get these engine swaps done in canada? everyone talks about them getting done in australia and stuff. also if it is possible to get done in canada (somewhere close hopefully, maybe winipeg or saskatoon or something) would a rb28 be easier/cheaper to do, or would a sr20 be easier/cheaper to do. i have the money but im a cheap skate... anyway if you got some info/ if your a fellow canadian help me out ill be forever grateful
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
ExileinOblivion said:
yo, aight heres my dilema. i live in manitoba canada, and i just saved up a few g's. i have my 91 240sx with a kit on already needing an engine. i read through all the arguments about the rb28's the sr20's the ka20's and what not. they all sound great. to be honest im not looking to be the fastest car in the universe but i still want to chew up my friends z24 cavaliers, neon r/t's, and not to mention the civics... what i need to know is can i even get these engine swaps done in canada? everyone talks about them getting done in australia and stuff. also if it is possible to get done in canada (somewhere close hopefully, maybe winipeg or saskatoon or something) would a rb28 be easier/cheaper to do, or would a sr20 be easier/cheaper to do. i have the money but im a cheap skate... anyway if you got some info/ if your a fellow canadian help me out ill be forever grateful
In canada you should have an easier time gettin these engines. I would say a rb20det would also be a good choice. I have never heard of swaping an rb28 or ka20's.
 

·
KA24DET
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
There is no such motor as a KA20. The RB28, a post made by myself, refers to the RB28ETi single cam motor, used in Nissan Patrols. This is not mainsteam at all. The mainstream engine swaps are the RB20DET, the CA18DET, and of course the SR20DET. The CA18DET is the cheapest and the easiest (just as easy as SR, but less aftermarket part availibility) and in my mind the best idea. The SR20DET is easy, a little more expensive than the other two because of the demand, but very trite. The RB20DET is the most difficult of the easy swaps, due to mount issues and fan clearance. It's not terrible though, it just involves a bit more work. It seems like you're looking for an affordable setup that would spank those other cars you mentioned... It's very possible to make your car with a KA24DE faster than any of those cars, I'm surprised your car isn't faster already. KA24DE is a nice engine, but if you've got the desire for a JDM engine, I'd go with the CA18DET, for affordability and ease of swap. Zero Lift Auto sells CA18DET motorsets for only $900, and you sometimes see them on EBay for less, if you're really keen. I saw a CA18DET motor without transmission go for $350...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
There is no such motor as a KA20. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I beg to differ
nissan ka20
cyl4
eccentric dist. 43mm
main bearing dia 55mm
con.rod dia. 50mm
overall crank length 504mm
2.0 but it IS a civic engine :loser:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bridrive55 said:
There is no such motor as a KA20. The RB28, a post made by myself, refers to the RB28ETi single cam motor, used in Nissan Patrols. This is not mainsteam at all. The mainstream engine swaps are the RB20DET, the CA18DET, and of course the SR20DET. The CA18DET is the cheapest and the easiest (just as easy as SR, but less aftermarket part availibility) and in my mind the best idea. The SR20DET is easy, a little more expensive than the other two because of the demand, but very trite. The RB20DET is the most difficult of the easy swaps, due to mount issues and fan clearance. It's not terrible though, it just involves a bit more work. It seems like you're looking for an affordable setup that would spank those other cars you mentioned... It's very possible to make your car with a KA24DE faster than any of those cars, I'm surprised your car isn't faster already. KA24DE is a nice engine, but if you've got the desire for a JDM engine, I'd go with the CA18DET, for affordability and ease of swap. Zero Lift Auto sells CA18DET motorsets for only $900, and you sometimes see them on EBay for less, if you're really keen. I saw a CA18DET motor without transmission go for $350...

sorry, maybe i should have clarified. i should have said ive looked up the "RB, SR, CA, KA" motors performance wise, and price wise, but they always seem to differ. basically what im looking for is something that is gonna give me good performance, and a fricken blast of horsepower. and yeas... i can beat the z24 and the civic and the talon(because his turbos screwed), but the r/t is talkin it up like he is hot shit. anyway i think the sr20 would be the best choice for me. but i have another question, can ca18det's be done up just as easy as the SR?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
ExileinOblivion said:
sorry, maybe i should have clarified. i should have said ive looked up the "RB, SR, CA, KA" motors performance wise, and price wise, but they always seem to differ. basically what im looking for is something that is gonna give me good performance, and a fricken blast of horsepower. and yeas... i can beat the z24 and the civic and the talon(because his turbos screwed), but the r/t is talkin it up like he is hot shit. anyway i think the sr20 would be the best choice for me. but i have another question, can ca18det's be done up just as easy as the SR?
yes the CA can make alot of power but so can the RB prices are usally similar. Building off the RB will cost a little more but starting hp for the RB is much higher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
damm i beat my friends Z24cavalier and regular neon's all the time on my s13, specially gay ass civics. Maybe you need to practice a bit more....and you will see that a 240 can own those things.
 

·
KA24DET
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
I've read that the KA24DE powered S13 runs 16.0 in the quarter with a good driver. This is significantly faster than a factory Z24. I'm sorry, but I friggin hate Cavaliers. My car had messed up timing on a KA24E, so I couldn't stand up to most of the cars in the area, but come spring, when I bust out the CA18DET again, it'll be a different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
LOL!!!! i hate stupid jetta's and some gay ass Golf's
 

·
Tarmac Terrorist
Joined
·
272 Posts
Loki said:
LOL!!!! i hate stupid jetta's and some gay ass Golf's
Jetta's and Golf's can be very nice car's, February's edition of HCI shows a Uber Turbo'd Golf VR6, had like 500HP man that is sick.
Personally the Jetta and Golf is more of a Daily driver, not something you would want to make go fast and be proud to race.
That is why I love Altima 3.5's they are wicked fast, the aftermarket supports them, and they are a roomy, car with great handling and fuel milage!
 

·
KA24DET
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
DaCheat said:
Jetta's and Golf's can be very nice car's, February's edition of HCI shows a Uber Turbo'd Golf VR6, had like 500HP man that is sick.
Personally the Jetta and Golf is more of a Daily driver, not something you would want to make go fast and be proud to race.
That is why I love Altima 3.5's they are wicked fast, the aftermarket supports them, and they are a roomy, car with great handling and fuel milage!
Haha, I drive an 02 Altima 3.5 in winter. They are nice, but I'm selling this spring. The handling isn't that great, and it's too expensive for my sporty tastes. The Alti is great, but it's no sports car like the S13. 240 VQ hp can't replace a turbo.
Jetta's and Golf's are nice, but I think we can all agree that factory turbo motors are the way to go.
 

·
Tarmac Terrorist
Joined
·
272 Posts
bridrive55 said:
Haha, I drive an 02 Altima 3.5 in winter. They are nice, but I'm selling this spring. The handling isn't that great, and it's too expensive for my sporty tastes. The Alti is great, but it's no sports car like the S13. 240 VQ hp can't replace a turbo.
Jetta's and Golf's are nice, but I think we can all agree that factory turbo motors are the way to go.
Is the Altima a 5pd or automatic?
How much you think of selling it for?
What do you mean it is too expensive for your tastes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
i saw this kick ass golf once its the new R32 really nice
 

·
KA24DET
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
DaCheat said:
Is the Altima a 5pd or automatic?
How much you think of selling it for?
What do you mean it is too expensive for your tastes?
This one is an auto, it's got the gated shifter though. I'm asking $17,500 for it. It's in great shape and has all the options, only 27k miles.
By too expensive for my tastes, I mean I can't drive a $23,000 car like I can my $1900 240SX. I'm not afraid of crashing the 240SX, and I'm always paranoid driving the Alti. I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about the Altima as I once was.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top