Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what else besides gas causes engine knock when the car is at idle and in gear?it is pretty loud.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Bad rod bearing, piston slap, lifter tick, loose torque converter, etc.

Knocking is generally not a good thing. Does the noise increase or decrease with rpm, temperature, load, etc?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no just at idle.when youre in front of the car,you can herar the sound coming from under valve cover but i pulled it off and didnt notice anything wrong.also, i just replaced my timing cover.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If its coming from the valve cover, I'd suspect a lifter issue. Does it come from that lump on the end of the cover that houses the VVT mechanism? Does it lessen when you change your oil?

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
That's indicative of a bad timing chain/tensioners.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no.it just knocks at idle and in gear.i revved it lightly once and it sounded like a rattling noise

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its funny cuz i just replaced all the tensioners 8 months ago.i replaced just about all of my timing components due to the fact my tensioners got old and the chain wore a hole in the side of my timing cover.i never hammered my car once and i bought it new and never had any knocking before.

·
Registered
71 Posts
mine used to click, I think you may be hearing the same thing. actual knocking you would hear from inside the car. I didn't worry too much about mine, it never became a problem. I think the lifters make a little bit of noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts