Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's does anyone know if a 98 engine will work in a 96? I am looking to replace mine outright if anyone has a low milage 1.6 for sale.......

·
Registered
99 Posts
it should work they are the same. even if it was a sr20de. it wouldn`t be a problem just a little more work.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would be warry of emmissions issues and make sure you are using the 98 ECU. I know the 98 SR20 was different. Maybe not so on the GA16 but definitely something to be sure of before you start.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I here about emissions! I have not had to worry about this for some time now with the older American Iron! All I know is it's real tough going from Huge power to very little! My Cummins powered Doge Truck Makes Big power and gets nearly 20mpg but the cost of Diesel is killing me! This car either has a problem with valve actuation and or timing or it's flat out a DOG?? The motor is ticking when the trans as just about to shift and I believe that it's a valve issue for sure! But my question is How?? What do I have to do to determine my issue? I read somthing about valve shim's needing to be changed to somthing with a bigger diameter to make up for the wear? Is this true? Lost with these little foreign cars foe sure! But it sure doesnt mean I can't learn....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Check the upper timing chain tensioner. I know it will make some noise before shifting when you start to let off the gas when it is worn down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts