Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the hood popped on a 2002 fronteir today and I had to take a double take. Is that a str8 six I see? Also it was super charged... anyone had one of these boys dynoed yet? I was thinking about transferring my car to my G/F and getting the Frontier and gettin the supercharger. Just curious what kind of numbers I would be @ the wheels.

-Steven C.

·
Platinum
462 Posts
Frontier engine

Frontier has 3.3L SOHC V6 (VG33E). Supercharged version pushes 210hp (at crank), but i heard it's not that great. (i've never driven a SC Frontier/Xterra so i don't know for sure..) I still don't know why Nissan is keep using old VG engine.... I really think nissan needs to throw VQ in that thing.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm satisfied with the engine that's in my truck (3.3), my brother told me that the throttle response is better than his truck (Toyota Tacoma) and so as my other brother when he borrowed it for house moving (Mazda). It has more standard equipment than any other truck that I have tried.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The only problem that I have seen at our dealership on the supercharged Frontiers or Xterras is that people complain of lack of power. The reason for this is because people do not use premium fuel and the supercharger gets bypassed by the ECU. If premium fuel is used there are no other problems.
I had considered getting one in the past. I am curious to see what kind of power a guy could get out of one. I figure intake, exhaust, underdrive pulleys, ecu, and supercharger underdrive pulley to boost pressure should make it pretty quick. Is anyone working on doing this?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought a new Super-Charged Frontier and believe me it's Fast! I've had two other Nissan V-6's and they were great (trouble free) but this one really Rocks! You have to use High test gas in it but to me it's really worth it. Highly recomended!

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
a freind of mine is looking for a new engine for his frontier ...

he said his old one is about 2 die.. what do you guyz recommend he do?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've heard just by adjusting the pulleys you can get another 30 (or so) hp out of the S/C.. just a rumor.. but quite possibly tru

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey just for the info .... I blow the doors off my friends low 14 sec. 99 SI in my '01 Fronter Crew Cab SC Auto. !!! Well at least through 1st gear , once he hits 2nd he is gone , but it certanly pissed him off when he couldnt keep up through 1st !!!! It is the most fun I have ever had in a truck .. No its not a moster for power , but it is a monster 0-45 !!! And has no problem towing our 2 Sea Doo's with a weeks worth of gear over Mt. Hood !!!! And the Handiling is amazing !!! Well worth every dime spent !!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That is the Nissan Patrol engine they use in the rest of the world makes better low end torque and it should dyno at 240 horses the chevy trailblazer dynos at 270 for a straight six...there is a race version of the engine for off road racing that puts out about 300 hp..can't remember the link though (look under nissan rally or nissan patrol {extera in us})

Inline motors develop more lowend power/torque to climb hills with....

V engines just run smoother for more money...

Ever looked at a BMW 3series straight six and goes over 100...same with the nissan skyline in japan straight six twin turbo with 300 hp....why pay for more when less will do....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts