Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey my brother has an 04 Titan SE 4x4 Crew Cab with Off road package and big tow package. It is totally stock except he put stock size Goodyear Wrangler MT-R tires on it.

Anyway he was crossing a small creek (2 feet wide 3 inches deep) and the wheels spun so he tried it in 4low and it spun so he locked the rear diff and it still spun anyway this spinning threw mud up in the left front wheel well and the trucke sucked GALLONS of mud in through the airbox, past the filter and into the engine. The engine is totally dead.

Has anyone else had a problem with sucking water or mud in to the airbox, or even blowing the engine like this?

I'm trying to gather any info he can use to help him with insurance or nissan warrenty info on his truck.

Thanks for anyhelp you can get me.

Also think about this before you take your truck off road.

He picked up a 79 Dodge Power Wagon to tie him over until he gets this Titan disaster all worked out!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
brendanR said:
I would think you'd need pictures or other documentation of the area you drove in 'cause I would think I could cross a 2' wide, 3" deep "creek" with my Frontier 4x2, unless it was in the middle fo a swamp.

Unless you can find some kind of defect in the airbox parts, I would think the fact you were off-road would void any warranty work.

But, hopefully, for your brother's sake, I'm wrong.

Maybe you can shame them into fixing it by telling them a Dodge/Chevy/Ford/Toyota wouldn't have had this probelm.

Good Luck.

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
brendanR said:
Hey my brother has an 04 Titan SE 4x4 Crew Cab with Off road package and big tow package. It is totally stock except he put stock size Goodyear Wrangler MT-R tires on it.

Anyway he was crossing a small creek (2 feet wide 3 inches deep) and the wheels spun so he tried it in 4low and it spun so he locked the rear diff and it still spun anyway this spinning threw mud up in the left front wheel well and the trucke sucked GALLONS of mud in through the airbox, past the filter and into the engine. The engine is totally dead.
Not trying to be rude but I have a hard time believing this. First off Traction Control should have eliminated the wheels from spinning. Secondly, the inner fender wheel well has a plastic trim cover which would block almost any water/mud/debris. Not to mention that there is a snorkle that mounts to the airbox and runs into the upper fender which would make it almost impossible for water to be sucked up unless your up to the hood in water.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a joke and I'm not some troll just trying to knock the titan. My brother came down from MD to try to help my mom who lives outside of charlottesville, Va to try to help her gather firewood off her mountain land. The land was logged about 4 years ago and all the branches were left on the ground and so are easy pickins. He was driving down one of the fire roads and went to ford the stream and this aweful thing happened to his truck. I posted here to find out if anybody had a similear problem with theirs.

I live in Myrtle Beach, SC and I'm going to call my mom and get her to take as many pictures as possible and send them to me so we can figure this out, cause otherwide he's out $30,000. Maybe they forgot to put a piece on, and so if they DID then we can do something about it.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
I have to agee with some of the other posts.. Hard to believe.

If he sat there and spun the wheel in a creek then it's his own fault... regradless I can't see how the intake could suck up mud... get by the filter...by the maf...and so on and so on... sounds like your brother or someone isn't telling the entire truth.. he probably drove into a 3' creek...

Slurppie said:
Not trying to be rude but I have a hard time believing this. First off Traction Control should have eliminated the wheels from spinning. Secondly, the inner fender wheel well has a plastic trim cover which would block almost any water/mud/debris. Not to mention that there is a snorkle that mounts to the airbox and runs into the upper fender which would make it almost impossible for water to be sucked up unless your up to the hood in water.
and what he said!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,

It doesn't matter if you believe it or not, the fact is it happened. I just called My mom and told her to get as many pics of the truck, engine bay, fender liner and creek, the approch to the creek, the crossing spot and everything. After she gets the pics and has them developed she will send me a copy of them and I'll post them up.

I also called my brother and he said that the plastic fender liner was a little loose from the day he picked it up at the dealer, but he figured that was just the way they are since it was a brand new truck.

Anyway, the only problem I can see in this situation is that they pulled the truck back out of the creek and into the driveway. We can't get any pics of the truck in the creek unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
the location of the intake is pretty high and it pulls air in from the front.... he had to be in some DEEP water/mud, no way the tires could've kicked mud/water in the intake, he didn't have paddle tires on it... did he? From the info provided so far.... NO WAY. Somebody is not telling to whole story. I would've had to of been there to believe this one and I don't think warranty will either, I am sure it happened, but my question is HOW did it really happen. I mean a 4wd stuck, in a creek 2' wide and 3" deep Hmmmmm, I've had my truck up to the bottom of the doors in water and mud crossing a pond in a 2wd, so excuse me if I seem skeptical

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I don't blame you for being skeptical, it certainly seems far fetched, but the truth is stranger than fiction sometimes. Hopefully I can get those pics real soon and try to figure this out. I've seen this creek, even driven through it myself in an old Toyota and an old Blazier, it's just a ford on a fireroad. I'll keep you guys update on the latest info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, I am going to go up to the mountain and check this out for myself this weekend. My brother will come down from MD and meet me there and we will try to get it figured out. I'll bring my digicam and get the pics myself. I'll post an update on it when I get back.

Also, I called my brother again and talked to him again...I think he was just so pissed that this happened in the first place he might have exagereted the extent of the mud that got sucked up... I think it just filled the airbox and choked out the engine...I really don't think it would have gone all the way past the TB and intake manifold and all that...I only reported what he said "engine full of mud!" I think it will be an easy fix, but we will see. Unfortunatly I think even if we get it fixed pretty easily he might still trade it in on a new dodge diesel. (he has always been a dodge guy...2 power wagons a ram charger and a dart and the Titan which I had convinced him to buy in the first place) I hope we can get it fixed and convince him to keep it and get a lift kit for it, but right now he is really leaning towards the ram.

like I said I'll keep you posted on this.

·
3,553 Posts
I call BS. :showpics:

There's no way mud flows past an airbox intake tube, through the airbox, through an air filter, up to the throttlebody and "sucks gallons of mud" into the engine. Water, MAYBE...if it were sunk up to the hood under water. Not in a 2" deep creek, even with wheelspin and the front end sinking into the mud.

Think, McFly. Where would water normally go when it's raining hard out and you were driving on the freeway? Hmmm, I do believe the tires would throw it up into the wheelwell the exact same way you describe...for hours at a time, as long as you were driving on the freeway in the rain. I've never heard of a Titan engine dying from rainwater being sucked through the filter box, filter, and up into the intake. End of line. :showpics:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you had read my latest post you would have seen that I think my brother is exagerating the problem. I'm getting ready to drive up there now and see what the problem is. Try reading the latest post by the person first before making judgements. I came to this forum for help, not to be ridiculed and called names. If you don't have some help to add then please don't post at all.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Hopefully the next post from you isn't "help I too sucked up mud into my intake..." :D

I had some mud suck into my 93 4Runner when I used to live up in CO but that took some deep moron level off roading... I only found out after I got home and changed the oil and found hard little chunks of mud in the oil pan... AND my mom is still driving that car today...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LONG story

So I went up and got some pics of the truck. It's not as bad as he thought, but the engine is mostly shot.
It would start, but then immediately cut off again. I opened the air box and it was full of mud (When it first happened he scooped out as much as he could). I pulled the maf and it was completely caked in mud. I pulled the intake tube from the throttle body and the tb is covered in mud, front and back of the butterfly valve, and as far as we could look down into the manifold. I pulled the spark plugs and they didn't show any problems. I checked the oil on the dipstick and there was white foam (water in the oil), and silver sparkles from the metal in the engine grinding out. We cleaned the maf and reinstalled it and changed the oil and fitler. The oil was full of sand, tiny pieces of rock, dirt clumps, metal specks, and metal shavings as large as 1/2 an inch long and 1/2 a millimeter wide. We flushed several quarts of oil through the engine to get it all out, then after that we fired it up and it ran.
White smoke just billows out of the exhaust on startup. After it is warmed up it smokes a little at idle and smokes a lot during acceleration. It's got a really bad knocking sound, but it does drive and runs pretty well considering.

In the pics you can see where the inner fender liner isn't attatched at the front and sags down a couple of inches. THIS combined with the fact that this mud was like soup and his tires are very aggressive and the approach to the creek was softer then expected (his truck was sunk all the way to the running boards) made this happen.

After getting stuck going forward and realizing he could get across the creek, he put it in reverse, and the front tires spinning backwards is how the mud got thrown up in the front of the fender well. Right after he managed to back out of it is when the engine died.

The dealer he bought it from in MD has a full lifetime warrenty on all cars and trucks they sell, and it allegedly covers all damages no matter how it happened, anywhere in the county, as long as ALL services are done at that dealer. When he brings the truck in to get the new engine, they'll probably find some loophole so he'll have to pay for it because he thrashed it too hard. Anyway, I talked some sense into him and he's going to get a new engine put in AND have his old engine rebuilt and keep the rebuilt as a back up. He's only going to use it for street use now. His '70 Powerwagon is the offroad truck now.

He knows that this wasnt' Nissan's fault, that it was just a combination of events. Hopefully they'll get his engine in quick...Here's a link to the pics:
http://punkin4675.tripod.com/titanpics/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I talked to my bro again, he was able to drive it back to MD, but it burns 2 quarts of oil every 50 miles...He's having it towed to the dealer to have them start looking at it. I'll keep updating this thread to keep you current as I get more info.

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
I'm sorry but I still have to call BS on this. Granted the inner fender trim was pulled away on the front the mud would have been slung up the backside if he was traveling forward. Also as covered as the engine compartment is, he would have had to bury the front end. Considering you can see traces of mud in the front end (behind the front grill) I would strongly say he buried it way above his running boards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you read my post, you would have seen that he BACKED out of the mud,(that means the tires are spinning backwards) and the mud is therefore thrown off the front of the tire. Also notice that the pass side of the engine bay is very clean (the fender liner is intact on that side) And the Drivers side of the engine bay is very muddy (the fender liner is loose on that side).

Anyway, I understand that if you are a Titan owner and you love your truck you might not want to admit that such a small creek could take out your truck, and so you feel like the story is BS. But no matter what you might think, the fact remains that this happened exactly as I have told it.

Again, I'll update when there is more news.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He had it towed to the dearership and they said that there is no way his truck could have possibly been stuck in that creek and sucked that much mud into itself. They claim he must have been up to the hood in mud or something like that. And that they will not replace the engine under warrenty. They want to see pictures too and he has 2 rolls of film that he is getting processed and put on CD.

So my brother has been talking to a good lawyer who deals with this kind of stuff...I haven't heard if he thinks the case is strong or not yet but he does need a little info.....

If your fender liner has popped off or come loose under normal to mild conditions please tell me. The more people we can find who have had that problem with their truck the more the lawyer can show it to be a flaw in the design of the clips that hold it in place.

I'll update again when I have news.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, so his lawyer is going to bring it to court...hopefully a settlement can be had outside of court, but we'll see.

More info as I get it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts