Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8. In the last 36 hours, the engine has cut out three times completely while driving at speeds of 45 (cruising), 55 (accelerating) and 10 (cruising) miles per hour. As the car was crusing with the engine off, I put it in neutral, turned off the ignition and started the car again, even though I was rolling. The engine light came on the second time the engine cut out and remains on. The electrical system was working after the engine cut out (lights, radio, power steering, emergency lights).

I took it to Midas and they hooked it up to their diagnostic machine which says the "knock sensor" needs replaced, at the cost of $175 before tax.

Does this sound right?

If so, is this something which I can replace myself easily? They want $100 parts, $75 labor.

·
Super Moderator
3,203 Posts
i personally have never seen a knock sensor shut an engine down. the knock sensor senses knock and retards timing 1-2 degrees at a time until the knock goes away. if it was my car, id be looking for the source of the knock before i replace an expensive component like a knock sensor. you can drive without it even being connected. also, i dont think theres a code that tells you the knock sensor needs to be replaced. when you get a knock sensor code, its usually to tell you that the knock sensor was doing its job and sensed knock.

here are all of the codes pertaining to knock that i could find. not sure if theyre nissan specific though. would it be possible to find out which one midas saw on their scanner?

P0325
Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

P0326
Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

P0327
Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Low Input (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

P0328
Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

P0329
Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Intermittent (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

P0330
Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)

P0331
Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 2)

P0332
Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input (Bank 2)

P0333
Knock Sensor 2 Circuit High Input (Bank 2)

P0334
Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Intermittent (Bank 2)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The technical name for the sensor is "camshaft placement sensor", I believe. Well, my car completely died on the freeway this morning and had it towed back to Midas for the repair. We'll see how this goes...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts