Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed with my 98 sentra gxe (and this has only recently been happening, as in like 3 months or less) right after I start the car, it's idle speed drops way low, to the point of almost stalling, and then returns to normal idle speed a few seconds later and then is fine. Lately however I've had the motor cut out completely when the low idle point is reached before it picks back up. What could be causing this? Is it normal? It's a bit chilly out here right now, but not colder than 40 degrees farenhieght at any point in time, so i dont think its just the effect of a cold engine. Im clueless here, anyone else have this happen to them?

On that note I've also noticed that when im driving in the 65-75 mph range, the steering begins to vibrate heavily, and then smoothen out at 80 mph+. There is no pulling, so i don't think its my tire alignment, but I could be wrong, again anyone have any input on this? Im prepping for a NOS installation, and I plan on having the car thoroughly tuned and checked up on before running it, but I'd like to have a heads up and do some of the repair work if possible myself.

Thanks in advance.

A

·
0 Posts
My 95 SE-R had the same problem a few years back, and only when it was cold and wet outside. I found a spark plug wire cracked, and when they were replaced, the problem went away.

Could the vibration be due to out-of-balance front wheels?

·
Registered
205 Posts
That vibration is very common with out of balance wheels, easy and cheap solution to test is to just have the tires rotated and balanced. If you just recently had it done take it back and tell them there's still a wheel/wheels out of balance. The conking out when cold can very much be like Alberta_SE-R said, I can't remember if that engine has a distributor or not (I have the manal for both engines in my car, figures) but if it does that's also a common symptom of a bad distributor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts