Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard that a KA24de that is turboed is faster than a sr20det. is this true? if so what are the power differences?

·
I should be azRS13...
1,021 Posts
I agree with Joel.... Is it a stock SR? Is it a built KA? Is it a stock KA with a turbo slapped on? What turbo? How much boost? be more specific.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
KA24DET

azRPS13 said:
I agree with Joel.... Is it a stock SR? Is it a built KA? Is it a stock KA with a turbo slapped on? What turbo? How much boost? be more specific.
I've heard that the KA24DET is a really good engine, but I'm a JDM freak, so no USDM engine can provide the thrill of custom CA18, SR20, or RB work. KA24DET would be a fun project though. At Advanced Auto here in Duluth, there's a KA24DET that's not modded except for T-25 and big FMIC and it puts down 14.7 in the quarter mile with VLSD. These aren't numbers that I'd go for... My CA might be faster with my open diff, and my Alti destroys that. SR20 might be a better engine, methinks.

·
Pivot 180
2,258 Posts
what turbo is on the KA? same turbo as the SR? Dont know. I suppose the KA would put out more due to higher capacity and compression. The T25G isnt really suited to a KA though. Its too small.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
Stock KA put outs 140 or 155. Your run of the mill stage 1 turbo kit will put around 220whp where as a stock sr20 would do maybe 170whp. The torque curve on a KA-T is also a lot more linear than an SR and would probably cost you less to do than a stock sr20 swap. The KA is also good for over 400whp but just make sre that the bottem end is built so that you don't have any problems.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have herd the ka vs the sr question argued many times. both are great engines. from what I understand the ka is great to turbo and can get a lot of bang four your buck. super street just did a vary nice comparison on the ka24det and the sr20det. the ka needs new pistons and rods to run any level of boost. and after you do that it is told to be as strong if not stronger than the sr. of course to turbo any engine you will need to up the fuel and spark and good control of both to keep every thing intact. any one could slap a turbo and a boost controller on a ka and run all over a stock sr once or twice down the street. but the real question is what do you want? you cant go wrong either way as long as you take your time and do it rite the first time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Original Question

Answering your origianl question. The KA24DE will put out more power than the SR20DE note these are the non-turbo engines. The KA24DET you mentioned sounds like it was an NA engine with a turbo bolted on. Hence the power difference of an SR20DET and the KA24DET you saw. As was already stated the T25 is just barly capable of suppling an SR of 2L. What do you think would happen when you up this capacity by 20%? Now i'm not saying that this is perfectly accurate but the KA with a correctly sized turbo should in theory be able to punch larger numbers than an SR remembering that the internals of the KA would need to be upgraded as they were designed for an NA engine origanlly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
kaptainkrollio said:
Stock KA put outs 140 or 155. Your run of the mill stage 1 turbo kit will put around 220whp where as a stock sr20 would do maybe 170whp. The torque curve on a KA-T is also a lot more linear than an SR and would probably cost you less to do than a stock sr20 swap. The KA is also good for over 400whp but just make sre that the bottem end is built so that you don't have any problems.
there are 400 whp ka's with forged pistons and stock rods, oem bottom end. for the amount of money it takes to get the sr20 in the 240 you can have a 350 to 400 whp car with the ka.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts