Nissan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 240sx, and from last night it has been doing this noise, like some sort of vibration, or clicking noise that is coming fron the back of the engine, close to the firewall, I checked for loose stuff, but nothing, everything looks fine, it only does the noise when I rev the engine about 2500-3000k, then if I rev it more or I left the gas it'll stop, what can be the cause of this noise? its driving me crazy! Im going to end selling this car!!!
 

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
Joined
·
7,673 Posts
Gerardo said:
I have a 95 240sx, and from last night it has been doing this noise, like some sort of vibration, or clicking noise that is coming fron the back of the engine, close to the firewall, I checked for loose stuff, but nothing, everything looks fine, it only does the noise when I rev the engine about 2500-3000k, then if I rev it more or I left the gas it'll stop
The clicking or ticking sound sounds like the valve lifter clearance is too large. There's a remote possibility that there may be a broken valve spring. Take the valve cover off ASAP and check all the valve springs; while the valve cover is off check all the lifter clearances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I think that rogoman is probably right. It sounds like your lifter/shim clearance may be too high. If you've somehow managed to wear down one or more it is very possible to make that noise at certain rpms. I would check it out soon, before it beats up your cam so bad you need a new one of those too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it to some local shop, and I was told that it was a normal noise, but I'm not sure about that, im going to take it to another shop, or may be i should just let it fuck up the engine so i can put a sr20det in :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, today I took the valve cover off, and I didnt find anything wrong with the valve/spring lifter/cams but I was shocked with what I found just laying there in the valve train, two metal pieces just floating around inside and one of then was between the chain and the engine wall, can you guys tell me what is this?


I cant believe that this was inside the engine!!!!!WTF?
 

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
Joined
·
7,673 Posts
Gerardo said:
Well, today I took the valve cover off, and I didnt find anything wrong with the valve/spring lifter/cams but I was shocked with what I found just laying there in the valve train, two metal pieces just floating around inside and one of then was between the chain and the engine wall, can you guys tell me what is this?
Could be the top timing chain guide. If the motor did have one, it's not needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still have that noise, and nothing is wrong with the valve train, what should I look for this time?
 

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
Joined
·
7,673 Posts
Gerardo said:
I still have that noise, and nothing is wrong with the valve train, what should I look for this time?
When you had the valve cover off, did you check the valve lifter clearances?
 

·
i'm an asshole
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
those pictures you posted up were the timing chain guide. i had the same problem with the clicking noise and after i took it out, it quit making the noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nismo240 said:
those pictures you posted up were the timing chain guide. i had the same problem with the clicking noise and after i took it out, it quit making the noise.
Everything looked fine under the valve cover, I dunno what else could it be
 

·
KA24DET
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Lifters?

Yeah, have you checked the lifters? Mine clicked like hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Lifter Ticks

I've got 'em too, although ticks normally aren't limited to a higher RPMs. They're practically harmless if that is the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
justifide224 said:
I've got 'em too, although ticks normally aren't limited to a higher RPMs. They're practically harmless if that is the case.
Yeah, Ive been driving the car like that for abour 4k miles and it seems that the noise doesn't cause any trouble
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Gerardo said:
Yeah, Ive been driving the car like that for abour 4k miles and it seems that the noise doesn't cause any trouble
I've actually talked to quite a few friends and quite a few mechanics and they all agree it's nothing to worry about. If you ever get the nerve to replace them you'll have a much quieter engine, but not entirely necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
you guy's shore it wasn't the rocker cover vent sheild's normaly bolted to under side of rocker cover might be a 10mm bolt floating round your rocker Assembly (i could be wrong haven't looked under the rocker cover's of mine to know what they look like :topic: )
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top