Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2002 Nissan Frontier w/3.3 V6. 115,000 miles. Driving it last night and it was running just fine, pulled into a parking lot and engine started clattering like a machine gun out of the blue. Sounds like it is from the top of the engine. Doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold, it is a constant clatter. Seems like it still has no power Just a lot of noise. Clatter gets faster when revving. Any ideas on what it might be?

Update. I replaced the timing belt and (water pump while I was at it). It is still clattering. The valves have the single spring. Also, I took it out and drove down the highway and it does not have power. It took a couple of miles to get up to 80 mph. clattered the whole way. I hooked up a tester under the dash and got these codes. P0300 Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected. What could this be? Could a sensor have gone bad?

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,242 Posts
Could be the distributor shaft bearing...or maybe the timing belt has slacked for some reason? I remember Nissan used double valve springs on the VG33E engine for a year or two and had a problem with one of the springs breaking, so they did away with the inner valve spring. You may need to remove the valve cover and inspect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be the distributor shaft bearing...or maybe the timing belt has slacked for some reason? I remember Nissan used double valve springs on the VG33E engine for a year or two and had a problem with one of the springs breaking, so they did away with the inner valve spring. You may need to remove the valve cover and inspect.
Okay. I replaced the timing belt and (water pump while I was at it). It is still clattering. The valves have the single spring. Also, I took it out and drove down the highway and it does not have power. It took a couple of miles to get up to 80 mph. clattered the whole way. I hooked up a tester under the dash and got these codes. P0300 Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected. What could this be? Could a sensor have gone bad?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Okay. I replaced the timing belt and (water pump while I was at it). It is still clattering. The valves have the single spring. Also, I took it out and drove down the highway and it does not have power. It took a couple of miles to get up to 80 mph. clattered the whole way. I hooked up a tester under the dash and got these codes. P0300 Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected. What could this be? Could a sensor have gone bad?
Dalbe,

Watch the Video.

Fuel Injector's can make a Racket as well.

Good Luck,

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,242 Posts
With the lack of power, I wonder if the catalytic converter substrate fell apart and is clogging the exhaust? A back pressure tester could help determine this. If you're in an area where you can get away with making a short trip on the loud side, you could remove the upstream O2 sensors to help relieve the exhaust pressure and take a short trip to see if it makes a difference.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,497 Posts
2002 Nissan Frontier w/3.3 V6. 115,000 miles. Driving it last night and it was running just fine, pulled into a parking lot and engine started clattering like a machine gun out of the blue. Sounds like it is from the top of the engine. Doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold, it is a constant clatter. Seems like it still has no power Just a lot of noise. Clatter gets faster when revving. Any ideas on what it might be?

Update. I replaced the timing belt and (water pump while I was at it). It is still clattering. The valves have the single spring. Also, I took it out and drove down the highway and it does not have power. It took a couple of miles to get up to 80 mph. clattered the whole way. I hooked up a tester under the dash and got these codes. P0300 Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected. What could this be? Could a sensor have gone bad?
If you're hearing extreme metallic clattering coming from the engine, you may have lost oil pressure. Check the oil level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts