Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i have a couple of questions about my 1991 nissan nx 1600 that i hope i can get some answers to. Problem #1 , mY engine bucks at certain speeds, like ranges 38-41 , 68-71 mph etc. The car is well maintained and tune up is up to date. i have owned it for over 4 years with this problem. it hasnt gotten worse but only just alittle better. Problem#2 ,there is also some oil a the bottom of my distributor where it bolts to the engine. Might that be causing it? I have replaced the distributor a couple of years back with a used unit and the problem is still there. Problem#3, my #1 spark plug has some oil on it. Is it a hard job to replace the front valve cover gasket and seals? and is that what they refer to as the head gasket? the car burns very little oil and has no leaks. i have lost alittle coolant from the reservoir from time to time but oil changes looks normal. The car has been extremely reliable aside from some annoying alernator replacements. I just want to tryto keep it maintained to a void any majoR problems down the road. My mileage is 162,000. Should i be concerned about my timing chain and water pump at this mileage? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you drive the injection or carb version??
If you drive a carb version it usually helps to replace the vacuüm-airhoses around your airfilter... if the attract extra air because they are dried out, your car starts to stutter....

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
On injection car, the air idle hose attached that is 3/4" that enters the plastic intake tube in the back of it can crack and cause shuttering. the MAF going bad could cause this also. YOu need a Nissan consult to read all of the sensors to tell you what is going on. that means a trip to the dealer. don't guess it. oil on the plug itself means valve seal is leaking. oil in the plug well means the valve cover gaskets around each plug is leaking due to being hard and brittle. they need replaced. You use liquid gasket around the valve cover opening of the distributor. they show this in the service manual on how to install the valve cover and tighten it to the spec in order. you need to screw this down properly or it will not seat and leak. its not the head gasket. unless you have oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil pan.

Chris

Chris 92 classic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi there , thanks for the info , i will check on that hose. the maf was replaced and cleaned out before but did not help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You might want to be a little more specific about "Engine bucking", my 92 kind of does that sometimes in second or third gear. Basically it feels like the engine is going fine, revving up good, but you can feel it "slipping" under heavy acceleration. I tend to think it's the clutch, but i'm way too lazy to change that out.

You need to change out the valve cover gasket, and spark plug boot seals on the valve cover to fix the oil leaks. The seal around the distributor never seals all that well, even when slathered in silicone. The spark plug boots you basically just pound out, and pound in the new ones. Only took me about 15 minutes to do, but i'm used to doing that sort of thing all the time. You basically just unhook any vacuum lines going to the valve cover, then take the valve cover bolts out, there's a bunch of them and they're phillips screwdriver bolts. Your new valve cover gasket kit will come with new rubber bushings for the bolts too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts