Nissan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I had to change the head gasket on my KA24DE. Prior to doing that the only mechanical work I've ever done was changing the oil on the 4 wheeler. :rolleyes: So now after a week, I've put the head back on, everything is back on and it won't start. I know I have sparks because I pulled out the wires and saw them. I also think I have fuel because I can smell it. I am completely stuck. Has this happened to anyone before?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how to check the timing but I put everything back together the way I took it off. If anything changed, the exhaust cam was installed one sprocket to the left but i really doubt it. I asked the guys at the Nissan dealer and they said if it doesn't bang or clunk as the engine turns over then the timing is probably fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I think what is happening is that my engine is flooding. If I try to start the car, it turns over and almost starts but it doesn't and I smell gas. Any ideas?

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,669 Posts
240newbie said:
I'm not sure how to check the timing but I put everything back together the way I took it off. If anything changed, the exhaust cam was installed one sprocket to the left but i really doubt it. I asked the guys at the Nissan dealer and they said if it doesn't bang or clunk as the engine turns over then the timing is probably fine.
The 'guys at the Nissan dealer' sound like real A-holes. Get yourself an FSM and recheck the cam timing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's an FSM? I actually got it to start but it ran rough so I think I have the distributor a sprocket off.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,669 Posts
240newbie said:
What's an FSM? I actually got it to start but it ran rough so I think I have the distributor a sprocket off.
An FSM is a Factory Service Manual; the best book to have for your 240SX.
You can buy a new one from:
Dyment Distribution Services
20770 Westwood Road
Strongsville, OH. 44136
(800) 247-5321

You can probably get one from EBAY. You can also download various 240sx Factory Service Manuals from www.zeroyon.com, in the tech section.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I messed around with the distributor and I got my car to start and stay on(if I give it some gas). Now it runs pretty rough until it gets up around 2500 or 3000rpm and there was some smoke coming out of the engine bay. Question: Does it sound like I just need to fine tune my distributor, or could it be that I have one of my camshafts slightly off? Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
240newbie said:
I messed around with the distributor and I got my car to start and stay on(if I give it some gas). Now it runs pretty rough until it gets up around 2500 or 3000rpm and there was some smoke coming out of the engine bay. Question: Does it sound like I just need to fine tune my distributor, or could it be that I have one of my camshafts slightly off? Thanks.
It could be both. double check that all the wiring connections are attached correctly also check that all vacuum tubes are hooked up right then Your best bet is to get the info on how to get the cam and distributor timing correct make sure it is correct and if your car still isn't running right and you still don't know what else it could be take it to a mechanic. sorry I don't mean to sound rude but you can cause major damage if you don't know how to do work like that correctly. get a FSM like the other guy said if you must do your own work. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Well, if the engine is ever flooded and you do have a spark, turning the ignition for a few seconds with the fuel pump fuse removed will combust flooded gasoline. Make sure you repressurize the fuel lines after doing this though.
As for the timing issue, what did you mess with on the distributor? Your car sounds pretty whack, if I were you I would retime the motor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah it's whack. It ran fine before I did all this stuff; it just had a blwon head gasket, but that was a very smll problem and it didn't affect the way the car ran. With the distributor, I was trying to line up the sprockets with the sprockets on the lower timing chain sprocket, that's all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I got my car running good. The problem was that my exhaust cam was a sprocket off and when I actually read the FSM it told me how to make them right. I was trying to just put it back together like I had seen it when I took it apart. What an idiot. Well at least I learned. But now, the first time I drove it, it overheated. Would that be because of an air bubble in the cooling system or do I need a new thermostat? I replaced the thermostat back in October or November so it would seem strange that it would already be broken, but I don't know what else may be wrong. Any ideas? Also, with the help of my outstanding mechanic abilities I managed to bust my exhaust manifold when I was working on everything. I guess now I have an excuse to get headers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts