Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
Ok so in order to get new insurance and plates here in Ontario, I need to have the car safetied and tested for emissions. So it passed the safety, but not the emissions. the three ares it failed in are called HC ppm, CO % and NO ppm. The results were HC ppm 247(limit is 75), CO % 1.58(limit is .42) and NO ppm 2503(limit is 0864). I was floored when I got the results! Has anyone have this happen to them?¿

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it says it was tested at 40km/h and said rpm was 1962 the result on that says valid. I have a repair manual it tells you how to check the o2 sensor, I did pick up a new o2 sensor, but I guess I'll check the current one before I go about replacing it.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I just noticed, sorry I didn't notice it earlier. They tested it running at 40km/h failed the three things I mentioned, but they also tested it as "curb idle" and everything says pass or valid.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you very must for those tips! Yeah I read up in my repair manual about the EGR, that is definitely a good place to check. One of my bosses is very good with cars. He gets OLD trucks, gets them running and puts them to work like a 56 International trucks he's got. He's also got a 1925 half ton he fix up for the hell of it but anyway yes you are correct about the O2 sensor it is a single wire. I imagine my 91 sentra is pretty much the same car as your 93.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well yesterday I changed out the O2 sensor, but the a lot of times when I stop for a light or stop sign the engine sputters slightly, I don't know what that's about, but I think tomorrow I'm gonna check the EGR valve. I need to get this figured out.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, Went to take it my car in for a retest at a different place this time and guess what, they said they couldn't test it, im like what? They said the cat converter is missing, yes missing. I was in shock. Some idiot put two resonators where the converter is supposed to be, just my luck. They directed me down the road to a local brake and muffler place. The guy took a look under the car and was like wow. He told me what they coulld do it cut the resonator out and place a cat converter in and it would be $200. Oh I was so happy I could hugged him. So now I am finally retesting the car tomorrow and hopefully that was the problem ha ha.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yeah it passed with flying colours!! I am wondering something, I noticed in the repair manual says to disconnect the negative battery terminal when changing the o2 sensor , which I didn't do. Ever since I switched out the the o2 sensor it has a big of a rough idle when in drive. Should I try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it to reset the computer? Or should I just leave it? Cause I am getting better gas milage cause according to the liters of gas I've used I've got 380 km out of slightly less than half a tank with combined city and highway driving!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.