Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - New to the board and have a real problem...sister in laws 1993 240SX...needed a new PS Pump so I had to remove the distributor to get down to replace it...I must have shifted the crank and now the engine won't start...
1) I can see the silver pointer w/ the 5 tick marks on the crank...facing the engine it's on the right (drivers) side at the bottom under the PS pump...
2) The distributor is clearly marked and it looks like there is a tick mark on the shaft and it's clarly marked on the cap cylinders 1 thru 4
3) I don't want to tear the engine apart to line it all back up...so can someone give me step by step directions on how to put the distributor back in so that I can get the car started and out from in front of my garage???

ie. how can I get it back to TDC or where should I set the initial timing mark and then how do I set up the distributor???

Thanks in Advance,
Frank
 

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
Joined
·
7,117 Posts
cptarmy2002 said:
how can I get it back to TDC or where should I set the initial timing mark and then how do I set up the distributor???
First you need to find Top Dead Center (TDC) for the compression stroke in order to time the ignition distributor. To find TDC, remove #1 spark plug and disconnect the ignition coil wire. Have someone tap the ignition switch start position to slowly crank the motor while you put you hand or thumb over the spark plug hole. When you feel the compression, stop. Now look down at the timing pointer at the front pulley. It should be pointing to ZERO. If not, manually turn the motor clockwise or counter-clockwise until it's pointing to ZERO. Now determine the #1 plug wire location on the distributor cap. Mark that location on the distributor body. Now insert the distributor into the block, meshing the gears so that the rotor ends up pointing to the mark you put on the side of the distributor body. You now are timed close to correct; you should be able to start the motor.

Before starting the motor, set up a timing light so that you can set the timing to spec. Disconnect the TPS harness connector. It's located on the passenger's side of the engine just above the throttle assembly. Start engine and set timing to 20 degrees BTDC. Check the idle speed. It should read 650 RPM; If not, adjust the idle screw until you get 650 RPM. The idle screw is located on the passenger's side of the engine near the firewall below the intake manifold. Stop the engine. Reconnect the TPS harness connector. Start engine. The idle speed should now be 700 RPM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Emergency Timing Help - More

The rotor is under the distributor cap...there was a plastic cover, then the black cap with the pug wires and then the metal distributor body...so I need to take off the plug wires and the black plug cap to get to the rotor, right
??? It looks like I have to take the whole top of the distributor off to get to the rotor...

Additionally, the plug hole is a good 6 inches inside the valve cover...will I be able to feel the compression???

Thanks...!!!



rogoman said:
First you need to find Top Dead Center (TDC) for the compression stroke in order to time the ignition distributor. To find TDC,
remove #1 spark plug and disconnect the ignition coil wire. Have someone tap the ignition switch start position to slowly crank the motor while you put you hand or thumb over the spark plug hole. When you feel the compression, stop. Now look down at the timing pointer at the front pulley. It should be pointing to ZERO. If not, manually turn the motor clockwise or counter-clockwise until it's pointing to ZERO. Now determine the #1 plug wire location on the distributor cap. Mark that location on the distributor body. Now insert the distributor into the block, meshing the gears so that the rotor ends up pointing to the mark you put on the side of the distributor body. You now are timed close to correct; you should be able to start the motor.

Before starting the motor, set up a timing light so that you can set the timing to spec. Disconnect the TPS harness connector. It's located on the passenger's side of the engine just above the throttle assembly. Start engine and set timing to 20 degrees BTDC. Check the idle speed. It should read 650 RPM; If not, adjust the idle screw until you get 650 RPM. The idle screw is located on the passenger's side of the engine near the firewall below the intake manifold. Stop the engine. Reconnect the TPS harness connector. Start engine. The idle speed should now be 700 RPM.
 

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
Joined
·
7,117 Posts
cptarmy2002 said:
The rotor is under the distributor cap...there was a plastic cover, then the black cap with the pug wires and then the metal distributor body...so I need to take off the plug wires and the black plug cap to get to the rotor, right
??? It looks like I have to take the whole top of the distributor off to get to the rotor...

Additionally, the plug hole is a good 6 inches inside the valve cover...will I be able to feel the compression???

Thanks...!!!
Leave the ignition wires plugged in the distributor cap, just unbolt the cap from the distributor body to expose the rotor.

Just put your hand over the plug hole and you'll feel the compression pressure.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top