Nissan Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
# 0001 Bonavista Owner
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
SPOT (not rust) ON

You will not be able to determine the effectiveness of these units on the x-trail in the current time frame. Standard automotive exposed steel sheeting is subject to a G90 zinc coating. This will allow for an estimated 5 years of protection in a saline environment, (bad designs, or manufacturing defects like the 2005 wheel well not withstanding,). The exy has plastic front body panels, and a decent non-water trapping design else where. Perforation rust usually results from condensation building up on the inside (non painted, faraday trapped) portions of your car and essentially dissolving the the zinc layer over time. By spraying the car you create a boundry between the zinc and the water. So Far East has added at least two years to time which he would see rust forming on the exy. So you will not see anything for quite some time. My exy never had any rust proofing done, (I bought in 2009 its a 2006) and in southern ontario, we love our salt. It doesn't show any signs of rust at all, neither do any of the other exy's around here. Honestly, the oil rust proofing is the cheapest, most effective way of protecting your body panels. Cathodic protection (electronic modules) can work, but it has many ways of failing.
I think tbk has got it figured pretty good.....

Given that it would take some significant time to do an appropriate evaluation of this product, I'd be more inclined (currently) to the Krown (oil spray) type of solution to any potential rust issues - - there's no question that they have a great track record in the industry.

I've seen lots of "treated" vehicles from both Ontario & Newfoundland, which are both somewhat famous (a dubious distinction) for rust issues due to "salt" and "moisture" and they have stood up very well.

That being said, they are still "messy" and your mechanic will bitch a lot if / when he has to do any electrical system work.

While I no longer have the X-T, I know the current owner and he says it's standing up quite well and there are no rust issues whatsoever.

Keeping in touch from time to time and with cheers = Roger

·
Registered
1 Posts
Electronic Rust Protection System

Hey Canada's Far East,

The sites you mentioned in your post are great but I think Roe Marketing website featuring the CAT SYSTEM Rust Prevention is the best amongst all.

They not only inform about how the rust process works but also explain about how the electronic rust protection works to stop it, along with the benefits of the system and the testimonials of the clients.

I guess I know where I'll put my money :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery drained by electronic rust proofing module

Does anyone else have problems with their battery going dead after a few days? We have had the battery replaced, check by the dealership and even so had to jump start the XTrail 4 or 5 time. The most telling was 10 days after a full check out and charging by the deal the battery was too low to turn over the engine. Normally the cars goes back and forth for a few miles worth every day and even that has caused problems on cold days. Running for a few months now, not starting the car a for a couple of weeks but with the module disconnected and no problems with the battery. Dealership doesn't know what to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Electronic rust control WORKS!

Sorry guys, had to post in this thread, as I am an owner of a 2000 VW Passat, which originated in Honolulu, spent 6 years on Maui with me, and is now in CT!

The box next to the battery is labled BODYGARD, and you can google it.

My car is 16 years old, and there is not one sign of corrosion whatsoever, it is showroom 'new' in that sense.

These DO work, however, I am sure there may be 'knock-offs' that might not do the trick. Anyways, in my case, indeed it took 16 years of 'working' to see the amazing benefit of zero rust.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Plenty of REAL science out there that'll tell you that these "Electronic Rust Control" things can't and don't work. Works about as well as electric superchargers.
I've got a '98 200SX that's spent all it's life in Minnesota and North Dakota. Plenty of salt in Minnesota. Not as much in North Dakota, but enough. No rust here. AND no 'electronic rust' boxes.
You think maybe regular car washes might have something to do with it? Hmmm... Maybe???

A sample size of one does NOT mean "These DO work".
A sample size of one means that you don't have any rust on your car. Period.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,071 Posts
Are dealers still trying to sell this scam to people? As Jdg points out these have been thoroughly discredited and the so called scientific basis is simply not applicable to the real world situation of a car. Your VW lasted due to galvinization and good paint. Some wax and regular washes helped along the way. I am really curious what lead you here to proclaim your "truth"?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess it's the time of year - - I notice these electronic rust control gadgets being advertised more these days.

Was wondering if any of our members have installed one of these devices and have any comments on their effectiveness / value.

Alternatively, anyone come up with any "reviews" of the products that they could share (or link). I've searched the net and can only seem to find "product" related info - - no independent reviews.

I did a search on this forum (and the AU forum) but did not come up with much either.

These gadgets are not inexpensive by any means - - but it is a one-off investment and if they are any good (given our climate) they might be worthy of consideration...

Comments welcome.
I purchased a 2009 Nissan Sentra. I purchased the Sym-Tech electronic rust proof system with the car. In 2018, I had ZERO rust on the car. Unfortunately my module was stolen leaving me without protection. Now in 2020, my car is full of rust. These devices work!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts