Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First of all, I hope this is posted in the right place - if not I apologise - moderator, do your thing.

Okay, second of all, I have a 1989 Sentra and here's what's going on (sorry this is really long):

Friday night I was driving back home and the lights seemed kind of dim. As I used the turn signal, the engine would sort of skip when the blinker blinked. I thought this was really strange and it quit when I turned off the turn signal (I made the turn - no other drivers nearby).

I got down the road about another 1/3 of a mile and the car just died.

Yesterday I replaced the alternator and battery (and valve cover gasket) and last night I had the same problem - the car died while driving around town just a few miles from my house.

Today, I charged the old battery and tossed it back in and drove it home. Here's the strange part: the "Charge" light comes on when I put the key into the ignition and turn the key - the car starts fine & the "Charge" light goes off. When I put the volt meter on the battery terminals it reads ~13.8 volts when the car is running. When I turn off the car, the battery reads about 12.3 volts. This is normal, right?

I'm guessing the problem is somewhere with my headlights because this has only happened while driving at night - but this is just a guess. I have very little experience with finding and solving electrical problems with cars.

Any help you can offer will be MOST appreciated. Really!!!

Thanks,

Tsafogi
(not really fast, but it's sort of an interesting user name)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ALSO . . . I just went ouside and had my wife help me with this . . . with all the lights on & the fan & the turn signal and her foot on the brakes, there was no significant drop in voltage - hardly any. I was watching the meter as she turned on the various electrical stuff.

BTW - if it's important, this car has no power windows, no power doors and no sound system.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps this is an intermittent problem &/or perhaps I "fixed" the problem when I reattached the old battery &/or when I unplugged & then replugged the connector coming from the alternator (on the right side of the car). This plug and receptacle had some "****" in it - looked like white lithium grease. I left the "****" in both the plug and the receptacle, then snapped them back together.

I do have a garage I can work on the car tonight - if I can only find out what's wrong!!! :mad:

Thanks,

Tsafogi

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
My alt went out on my 89 Sentra and I didnt even get a charge light. Take your car to Advanced Auto or something and have them test the alt, or have you tested it yourself?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
12.3 static voltage is too low and that 13.8 isn't the best either. Sounds like you aren't getting enough juice, either alternator problem OR grounding problem. You can only charge as much as the system can take care of. Bad ground can hinder the system

1 - 4 of 4 Posts