Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AIWA head unit in my 91 SE-R is not working properly and I think it has something to do with the power. The power seems to "fluctuate" or the current seems to be too little. When I turn up the volume to moderate levels, it shuts off.

For example, if volume was from 1 - 10, shuts off at 3. If I turn the bass all the way down, I can get up to 5, par se, before it shuts down. It just blinks the time once it turns off.

I had a new alternator installed by dealer a year ago, and battery level seems fine. But, something gave me the hint that maybe there's a power drain in the system. The beeping noise - when you stick the key in the ignition with the door opened - goes down in pitch once I start the car and stays low until it fades out. Also, FYI, the tachometer goes in and out randomly, but most of the time, it is out. When I "floor" it, the tachometer comes back on (80% of the time).

What you think? I thought of just replacing the battery, but that wouldn't help much once the car is cruising, right? No? Whateva, much help would be appreciated!

Peace
C-mo

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
I'd go through your electrical systems and check that all the grounds are "ground". Trace the wires to battery, alternator, starter, ignition, all electrical units if you can. Might just be a loose wire. If the grounds are a-ok, possibly a HOT wire is frayed or coming apart. Just a thought, I very much dislike electrical systems. Hope this helps... :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with all that... but one thing to add. The battery itself may check out, but are the terminals on the battery frayed or corroded?

I'd at least get a post cleaner, and clean the terminals on the battery, and the wire terminals that connect to it... Try cleaning the connections with Baking Soda and Water <in a paste> and a good strong brush... be sure to rinse it well, and make sure to rinse off the battery, fender and the engine bay to get all that gunk out of there.

Hope this Helps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i installed a pioneer head unit and the exact same problem happend to me, did u install the unit urself? i got my friend to do it and he wired something wrong and whenever i turned up the volume the lights on the deck blinked with the beat...as it was about to die and then the deck would turn off, so i went to a car audio shop and got them to install the deck and all was well......the sound is amazing through the STOCK clarion speakers....haha
good luck man..

T

·
0 Posts
sounds like a blowen speaker. when you raise the volume the speaker travels in to the shorted area of the coil and shuts down the radio. to test for a speaker short use a multi-meter and get a ohm reading on your speakers. they all should be 4 ohms.

N

·
0 Posts
I am profesional installer, and I have ran into this problem before. 99% of the time it is just your ground wire. When the ground doesn't hold a "true" enough ground, it can't handle the power when turned up. Usually the B13 don't have an actual ground ran to the harness. I would run a wire down to a strong ground point under the dash, and that should fix your problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, NISMO, you right. I just grounded the head on the brace for the center console and it works fine. But even though, it used to work fine without the ground. That's why I'm confused. I'm gonna try what y'all other peeps said too. I'm getting the bakingsoda now and got my WD-40. Thanks. Oh, the TACH still doesn't work, though.

Peace
C-mo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts