Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 single cab pickup, i have had what i thought was battery problems but ive changed the battery and it didnt help. at night my headlights will kill my battery and i will have to pull over and let my battery charge a little bit but even if i put it on charge overnight when i drive and have the heater, the radio or even my headlights on it drains my battery really fast. ive checked the altenator and its pushing 15 watts, ive checked the fuseable links on my positive battery cable and ive checked some fuses, i cant figure it out. when my battery starts goin dead my fuel injection goes crazy, my airbag light comes on and my oil light my check engine stays on all the time tho. please help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know why i put watts, i checked it myself and it was 14.27 amps but i was wanting to be safe so i took the altenator to advanced auto and they said it was pushin out 15 i havent checked the regulators tho, thanx ill check them and let you know

·
Registered
96 Posts
Amps??? You mean Volts right? If it were amps, it would be cranking amps and that would be anywhere from 400ish- to 800!

The lights going crazy is normal when the voltage starts to drop.

Check your alternator AT THE BATTERY while its running. It should be about 14.7 VOLTS

I agree with the regulator. Its the traffic director and perhaps its been drinking again.. lol...

Thats why you should check the voltage while its running and you switch the lights on/ heater on etc.. You will see right away of the regulator steps up the voltage to compensate.

Taking it off and having it check? Hmmm.. I'm not sure they can check the regulator that way..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol im not a electrician, i cut trees for a living, i will check the regulator as soon as i get home, my foreman said it may be the brain box but i agree more with the regulator cause thats been my only problem so far. i have another question for yall. im used to driving my old chevy with a built 350 so a shortage of power hasnt been a problem, can you suggest some bolt on power without killing my gas milage

·
Registered
3 Posts
an alternator should be pushing amps not volts. checking the alternator at the battery will read volts because it is chargint he battery. just an example i have a 90 amp alternator in my mitsubishi galant vr4, but the base model galant has a 75 amp... doubt that ur truck has a 15 amp alternator...that would barely charge your battery...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts