Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 nissan senra. I just replaced the alternator and the battery.When i turn the car on and the lights, everything flickers. The dashlights, corners, the bumper lense and dome lights, basically everything is flickering. I checked the volts and it was at 15v. I checked the terminals and its on tight. Checked the belts and it was fine. Im not sure what can be the problem.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
This was Ok before you changed anything ?
when it flickers is it going dim - bright- dim ?
Of bright to basically nothing, then back on ?
Where are you measuring the voltage, on the battery posts or the terminals ?
take the battery terminals off and clean the terminals and posts. use the red and green washers on the posts, and re -assemble. make sure the terminals are pushed down all the way and tight like you said above.
See if this fixes it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was Ok before you changed anything ?
when it flickers is it going dim - bright- dim ?
Of bright to basically nothing, then back on ?
Where are you measuring the voltage, on the battery posts or the terminals ?
take the battery terminals off and clean the terminals and posts. use the red and green washers on the posts, and re -assemble. make sure the terminals are pushed down all the way and tight like you said above.
See if this fixes it.
Everything was fine before i changed the alternator. The flickering goes bright-dim-bright. I measure the voltage from both terminals and post, now its reading 14-15v. When the heater, lights and defogger is on then it reads 13v. The flickering goes away when i drive the car but when its on idle it flickers. It also stop flickering when all the electronics are on, headlights, corners, dome light, heater, defogger, etc. I have cleaned the terminals and posts. I also cleaned the homemade grounds. Replaced the positive and negative terminals and wires. I rechecked the connections to the alternator and it was fine. There's no ticking sound or anything. Im not really sure whats wrong with it.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
sounds like its the brushes in the Alternator, but cant think how to confirm that ?
If it is the brushes they may just bed in.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill open the alternator tomm and check that. I also forgot to mention my alarm was acting strange after i changed the alternator. The alarm would go off all the time and couldn't turn it off. Instead of beeping slowly, the alarm was beeping fast, at the same time, all the lights flicker on and off (bright-blank-bright), i would hear a ticking sound under the dash from the relay. The car has starter kill and i was able to turn on the car with the alarm going off. But now the alarm is normal, its not acting up anymore. I wonder if the alarm has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can try to disconnect alarm system. Take alarms power leads of and auxillary power away too. Does car start normally or is it hard to start?

What is voltage when you have 3000...3500 rpm?

pretty unusual problem, I'd say. :) btw. Did you buy a new alternator from dealer? If so then you always can go to shop and tell them what's wrong and you can think if it might be alternator because it's the only thing you have changed. They'll propably give you a new one and send your current alternator to manufacturer.

- No-Pain -

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
well i can only tell you that on a suburban i had years ago the alarm started going off when parked and no one near it when in New Orleans for a weekend. On the way back to Houston the alternator failed, and just made it home with yellow lights !!
The power diode stack had failed, the the alarm going off was the beginning, it was loading the battery when it was parked ( the alternator is still connected when the car is off.)
So to my mind it all points to the alternator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts