Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In construction zone later at night hit a spot with uneven cement that wasn’t warned about. There’s a high pitched noise while driving seems to follow rpms. Gets louder the higher rpms and then when shifting goes away comes back. When you just turn the battery on you’ll hear the sound, sounds like an electric wine coming from around the transmission area. Doesn’t seem to have any problems with shifting or losing power, wondering if I knocked something electrical loose down there. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,828 Posts
What year is the pathfinder, stick or A/T, what engine. What do you mean when you say "When you just turn the battery on you’ll hear the sound". Do you mean disconnecting/reconnecting the battery?

Maybe you picked up some debris in the construction zone that's stuck somewhere in the front of the engine and rubbing against a pulley.

·
Registered
158 Posts
In construction zone later at night hit a spot with uneven cement that wasn’t warned about. There’s a high pitched noise while driving seems to follow rpms. Gets louder the higher rpms and then when shifting goes away comes back. When you just turn the battery on you’ll hear the sound, sounds like an electric wine coming from around the transmission area. Doesn’t seem to have any problems with shifting or losing power, wondering if I knocked something electrical loose down there. Anyone have any ideas?
Welcome to the forum brandeno.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year is the pathfinder, stick or A/T, what engine. What do you mean when you say "When you just turn the battery on you’ll hear the sound". Do you mean disconnecting/reconnecting the battery?

Maybe you picked up some debris in the construction zone that's stuck somewhere in the front of the engine and rubbing against a pulley.
It’s a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder A/T. When you turn your key so the battery is on not just fully starting the car the noise occurs. When you start you at idle you won’t hear it. It’s only when your driving down the road.

·
7,828 Posts
It’s a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder A/T. When you turn your key so the battery is on not just fully starting the car the noise occurs. When you start you at idle you won’t hear it. It’s only when your driving down the road.
It may possibly be a "chattering" relay in the IPDM. Here's a test for the IPDM:
Turn the ignition key to the on position, press your door switch 10 times, turn the ignition off then turn it back to the on position. If you do this right your horn will beep and the oil light will start flashing. The defroster ,headlights,cooling fans,wipers,and compressor clutch will cycle, so make sure that your hood is open so you can here the clicks of the compressor clutch. This is called the auto active test and this tests the main relays in the IPDM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It may possibly be a "chattering" relay in the IPDM. Here's a test for the IPDM:
Turn the ignition key to the on position, press your door switch 10 times, turn the ignition off then turn it back to the on position. If you do this right your horn will beep and the oil light will start flashing. The defroster ,headlights,cooling fans,wipers,and compressor clutch will cycle, so make sure that your hood is open so you can here the clicks of the compressor clutch. This is called the auto active test and this tests the main relays in the IPDM.
Alright I did that I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary or at least couldn’t tell. You could hear the electrical whine throughout the test around the passenger side of the car. I don’t think there’s a way I could post a video so y’all could hear it.

·
7,828 Posts
If you want to post a video clip here on the forum, use a smart phone and do a video with the camera. Save the video clip to youtube.com; copy the URL of your video clip that's on your youtube to your reply here on the forum. Now we should be able to hear your noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts