Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about picking up an 86 300zx, seller says that only the headlights and windows work at the moment, anybody have experience doing electrical work on these? Or any idea about what could be causing it? I'd assume bad or worn out wiring cause of the age.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,032 Posts
Please state exactly what works and what doesn't; like are you able to start the car up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is better to contact the service to professionals, otherwise you can aggravate the situation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is better to contact the service to professionals, otherwise you can aggravate the situation.
I suppose so, just worried about the cost of getting it done professionally and I've done work on cars before, just not electric.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Car starts and drives fine but only the windows and headlights work.
If it's primarily the interior lights, wipers, etc. it might be the Time Control Unit (TCU), which controls a bunch of electrical functions. Does the car have an aftermarket stereo? Sometimes the installer will mistakenly wire the new stereo to the illumination circuit, which can fry your TCU. They are pain to get to and replace.

·
7,032 Posts
Car starts and drives fine but only the windows and headlights work.
There are various components of the electrical system which make the system somewhat complex, like the TCU mentioned previously. You need to specify exactly what is not working. The wiring varies according to model type, so we need to know the model type: SF, DL, DLL, turbo or non-turbo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are various components of the electrical system which make the system somewhat complex, like the TCU mentioned previously. You need to specify exactly what is not working. The wiring varies according to model type, so we need to know the model type: SF, DL, DLL, turbo or non-turbo.
Brake lights, dash, radio, dome lights, and wipers don't work. Not sure what model type it is.

·
7,032 Posts
I looked at the wiring diagram for your year model and from your description of what's not working, it may be a blown out fusible link. The fusible link holder is located on the passenger side inner fender wall. There should be six links in the holder; they act just like a fuse; each one has a current rating. You can do a visual inspection to see if any are burnt or use an ohm-meter for a continuity test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts