Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here's the deal. a couple months ago my head gasket was leaking coolant. i replaced the head gasket with a MLS and got it running again. didn't run that great, but it ran well enough to drive til i could take it to a pro or get a swap. anyway, its recomended that you re-tq the bolts after installing a MLS gasket, so i tore it back apart and re-tq'd the bolts. when i put it back together it started up easy on the first try but ran a little choppy. i figured i just needed to set the ignition timing since i just kinda guessed at first. but when i hooked up the timing light it sputtered to a stop. i tried to start the car again, but it just spins the starter motor without engaging the solenoid. after much head scratching and wire chasing i figured it must be the starter solenoid since it appears the power has to go throught he solenoid to get to the motor, so i replaced the starter. but the new one does the exact same thing and now my interior electronics don't work either, so now i'm just really confused. if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this problem or how to find out i'd appreciate it. i'll probably be taking it to a mechanic soon if i can't remedy the issue.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,122 Posts
So, just by hooking up a timing light, everything went down the toilet? Maybe the cable connections at the battery aren't tight and/or corrosion on the terminals and posts.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i don't get it. on top of that the battery and cables are only about a month old, so corrosion wouldn't be an issue. i've checked the fuses and the connections at the starter, alternator, battery and every wire/connection that seemed like it could be even remotely related. i even pulled apart the harness on the passenger side so i could find out where the wires led, but to no avail. maybe something to do with the ignition switch? i don't know, i'm just pulling at straws now. i'm utterly stupified. oh well, it'll be at a mechanic soon and if its more than a couple hundred bucks to fix i'll just wait til i can afford a swap.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yeah, i don't get it. on top of that the battery and cables are only about a month old, so corrosion wouldn't be an issue. i've checked the fuses and the connections at the starter, alternator, battery and every wire/connection that seemed like it could be even remotely related. i even pulled apart the harness on the passenger side so i could find out where the wires led, but to no avail. maybe something to do with the ignition switch? i don't know, i'm just pulling at straws now. i'm utterly stupified. oh well, it'll be at a mechanic soon and if its more than a couple hundred bucks to fix i'll just wait til i can afford a swap.
sounds like a ground issue. check your starter ground and the ground that goes from the motor to the body. its a small wire. id check there

1 - 4 of 4 Posts