Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have just recently bought this 1993 240sx, i have been driving it for almost 3 weeks now an i got to friends place an it decided it wasnt going to start. Not even with a jump. So I assumed the battery was dead to a point of not starting. I then charged it to find out it still wont start. So a new battery was bought an i then got it runnning. Only to see it stop running once the new battery was out of power. It now seems to be the alternator that doesnt work.
Yesturday i had my alternator taken in an looked at, they told me the 2 brushes that produce power were broken therefor they could not charge like suppose to. So i told them to fix it an they did just that, made it look brand new. They then showed me a test saying the it was doing what it was suppose to. So i put the alternator back in my car hoping this was the solution. Once it was all back together i tried driving it, (the new battery at this point is now not fully charged) an it was fine at first but after a bit it just started to die again like before. I now have no idea what is wrong an if it was just that i didnt use a fully charged battery once the alternator was fixxed or if it is now something else that is wrong.
Please helpppp!!!!
Thanks
 

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
Joined
·
7,225 Posts
When the engine is idling with a partially charged battery, the voltage at the battery terminals should be around 14.5 volts. If the voltage is at 12v, then either the alternator is not doing the job or the fusible link is burned out.
 

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
Joined
·
7,225 Posts
The fusible link is like a fuse but larger. It's located in the fuse box that's near the battery.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top