Nissan Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Nissan Owner
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I know it's 2 yrs old! You felt any extra Horsepower since the mechanical fan in't always on?
Well, that's a no, because my driving style doesn't call for more horsepower. As a matter of fact I haven't ever pushed the throttle to the floor, and I hardly ever even turn over 3,000 rpms. I did the mod purely for better fuel economy, and it certainly hasn't hurt it any.

-R

·
Nissan Owner
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
An excellent write-up. Glad to hear that everything is working good.
Yes sir, thanks! So far so good. We all want our trucks to be as reliable as they can be, just to prevent the inconvenience and expense of being stranded somewhere, so I've been aware of the temperature gauge at all times, and it has yet to go beyond the halfway point under even the most harsh conditions. The largest load I've hauled on a hot day was just under 800 lbs, over a pretty hilly 30 mile route with some stop and go driving, and the engine kept its cool.

I can hear the fan run when it does come on, which is a good thing, so I glance at the volt meter to make sure the alternator keeps up, and listen for the fan to cut off again in a minute or so. When I'm running the AC the fan stays on as long as the compressor clutch is engaged, so sometimes the engine temperature will actually start going down to around the first third of the reading. In other words, the engine shows it's running cooler than it has to during AC operation. That's also a good thing. The AC doesn't stress as much.

We did one of these electric fan and controller kits on a heavily modded 56 Chevy at work recently. It was converted to a late model Chevy Corvette crate motor (very expensive custom project) so it got a lot higher dollar fan, and controller, for the best protection, but it works exactly the same way mine does and runs it all just cool enough for short hard runs or long slow parades.

-R

Fall 2014 Update:
We didn't have the hottest weather on record here, but even on the hottest days in the 90's in traffic the truck kept its cool. The temperature gauge may get up to the half way mark, but no higher. I also pretty much took everything back apart this summer just to make room for doing a timing chain service along with a new waterpump and radiator. All was well, and I didn't have to make any adjustments or corrections to the electric cooling fan system installation. BTW, the radiator had failed due to the plastic neck deteriorating at the upper hose... not uncommon for radiators to fail this way being over two decades old, and nothing at all to do with the fan and shroud mounting.

-R

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yeah I've thought about doing the same for years just to free up about 15 hp at cruising speeds since there's enough air moving thru the radiator that the fans aren't even needed...I'm a Permacool customer and they offer sevral adjustable controller kits as well the best one I believe is the one with the short pipe tht you cut your hose and insert this pipe section that has a welded in temp sensor bung and the rest is simple wiring.... I'm at about 365,500 miles and I'm seriuosly thinking about pulling the engine to have the cylinders bored out .5mm and install overbored pistons cause I'm burning oil really bad....at once I take it down to do this the electric fan mod will happen...Nice write up TRM!

·
Nissan Owner
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Update:

My electric cooling fan is still working just fine, but for the third time I'm having to replace the electronic thermostatic controller. I went with a different type altogether this time, but had to add yet one more relay to turn the fan on with the AC. It's gotten a little complicated now as far as the wiring goes, but I was still able to keep it working as designed.

I'll be glad to answer any questions.

-Roger

41 - 46 of 46 Posts