Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been researched quite a bit about how to turbo the ga16de engine.

Ive found this, and it looks like a decent kit to get me into the boost scene.
Turbo Specialties Superior Performance Turbocharger Kit : JC Whitney: Sport Compact Performance Parts

-T-20 turbo (Might see if they will upgrade to t-25)

-Map Unit (Tune set for this kit. It seems kinda shady and not really the way to go, but I'll talk about it further)

-Rising rate fuel pressure regulator (Its not really specific on how much it rises, Possibly something to replace later down the road)

-Cheap BoV? (i see it in the picture, doesn't really tell anything about it

-air intake and filter, oil return hose and oil pan fitting, clamps, couplers, hoses, down pipes, gaskets, charging pipe, hardware.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, this kit is suposed to suport 6 lbs of boost. I supose with 6 lbs it is not required to upgrade the injectors or fuel pump?

I don't really like the idea of the black box, but here is my
ALTERNATIVE besides using the black box
-Ive read that the sr20de 370 injectors are plug and play
-The sr20de ECU is plug and play aswell exept reads extra sensors like Knock sensor which the ga16de does not have.
-The sr20de Mass air flow sensor can replace the ga16de one.
-possibly the sr20 fuel pump? or a walbro 255

So if you trick the ecu that its running the sr20de, i believe the car would run fairly acceptable with this turbo kit.

DISCLAIMER: this info is not facts and you should not waste your money buying parts that might not work.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a program where you could flash the current ga16de ECU?
I would rather not give JWT 600 dollars for a tune that might change in a few months after completion.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything I typed is from my understanding. If you are knowledgeable, please please please point me in the right direction, explain what alternatives I could use.

/discuss

·
Registered
86 Posts
ok, basically thats a good turbo, the only things you wanna replace are your stock fuel rail with one from jgy and yes put the 370cc inj. in and get a nismo fpr. and msd 50 lb inj. clips. toss the bov that comes in that package, and get a diverter valve, turbo xs makes a good one, that reirculates the air, normally lost with a bov, back into the plumbing before the intake manifold (recamended for MAF cars) and jim wolf tech makes ecu's for our engines that are tuned for a turbo GA. also you will wanna upgrade the t20 to a gt28r or disco potato, with the enhanced fuel rail and etc it will be able to handle more boost so if you cant afford the gt28r (your not the only one!) then just get a regular t28, theres minimal lag on those, and it has plenty of room for more power where as the t20 could prolly only be able to handle the amount of power that is provided in the kit as is....hope this helps!!!!

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
ok, basically thats a good turbo, the only things you wanna replace are your stock fuel rail with one from jgy and yes put the 370cc inj. in and get a nismo fpr. and msd 50 lb inj. clips. toss the bov that comes in that package, and get a diverter valve, turbo xs makes a good one, that reirculates the air, normally lost with a bov, back into the plumbing before the intake manifold (recamended for MAF cars) and jim wolf tech makes ecu's for our engines that are tuned for a turbo GA. also you will wanna upgrade the t20 to a gt28r or disco potato, with the enhanced fuel rail and etc it will be able to handle more boost so if you cant afford the gt28r (your not the only one!) then just get a regular t28, theres minimal lag on those, and it has plenty of room for more power where as the t20 could prolly only be able to handle the amount of power that is provided in the kit as is....hope this helps!!!!
SLow down fella ;)

First off the fuel rail upgrade you suggest makes no sense. The 370 cc injectors work in the stock rail with the stock injector harness. No need for anything to change on the fuel rail etc...

The kit is made by TSI and other people on the forum have used it with some success. You should do a search and read their impressions and setups first hand.

The SR ecu idea is tricky, I recommend a calum real time ecu or the JWT. You do realize that JWT only charges $100 for an updated program right? The down side is they have a long wait time...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thanks for the info! It definaly opened me up to more possiblities.

I think what Ill be doing is purchasing this kit, the 370 injectors, 240 maf, nismo fpr, aem wideband, boost gauge, and jwt ecu for a basic turbo setup.

What else would I be missing?

Time to buy a few months supply of ramon noodles and crystal light powder rofl.

Now im just learning everyday as I read more posts, and your guys input helps alot.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts

I think what Ill be doing is purchasing this kit, the 370 injectors, 240 maf, nismo fpr, aem wideband, boost gauge, and jwt ecu for a basic turbo setup.

Now im just learning everyday as I read more posts, and your guys input helps alot.
Well I think that with the requisite knowledge you could build as good a setup with a larger turbo for the same money. Just depends on how much you want to do yourself in terms of piping. There are manifolds available....

I think your setup is a good one and leaves room for more power in the future, probably in the 230-240ish in terms of the MAF and injector combo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I think that with the requisite knowledge you could build as good a setup with a larger turbo for the same money. Just depends on how much you want to do yourself in terms of piping. There are manifolds available....

I think your setup is a good one and leaves room for more power in the future, probably in the 230-240ish in terms of the MAF and injector combo.

Thanks for the support. There probably is a better way I could spend the same amount of money for more power, but I am comfortable knowing that.

Not much custom work done around here in AK in regards to turboing an NA vehical, so help and advice is basicly relied on this forum.

Which is another reason why I would rather buy the TSI kit then part it together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There shouldn't be too much more work involved in a custom setup. The exaust manifold can be purchased from either here
Import Performance Parts - Nissan Turbo Exhaust Manifolds
or here:
http://jgsturbo.com/index2.html
and from there you can pick your turbo, either used or new, either way costing from 100-400 (used-new) for a t-25, a bit more for t28, and so on. At that point you have the two most costly parts, and the oil lines and air pipes are mostly generic and should fit just as good as the kit you're considering.

The upside of doing it this way is that you decide 100% on what you want, saving you money and/or giving yourself a better setup.
As an afterthought, there are programs you can use to reprogram the ECU youself, though probably not worth it if JWT is only $100. Pretty sweet deal, didn't know that one.
Good Luck whichever route you choose. Hopefully I'll be right behind you, just gotta finish rebuilding the damn thing first :)

·
Registered
86 Posts

if your gonna get the injectors and fpr then you will need the fuel rail from jgy cuz the stock one wont clear the throttle body, right wes? you guys encountered this problem i thought

·
B13 GA16DET
206 Posts
if your gonna get the injectors and fpr then you will need the fuel rail from jgy cuz the stock one wont clear the throttle body, right wes? you guys encountered this problem i thought
i have 370cc in a stock ga fuel rail...the only thing is that the 370cc injector clip wont fit the stock ga16de clips so you have to get MSD Style Injector Connectors.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
i have 370cc in a stock ga fuel rail...the only thing is that the 370cc injector clip wont fit the stock ga16de clips so you have to get MSD Style Injector Connectors.
This is news to me... I have used OEM nissan 370cc injectors in a stock fuel rail with stock injector clips. MSD style clips are TOTALLY different and will nto fit on OEM nissan 370cc injectors. Honestly I would like to see pics. of your setup to see what you are talking about...

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
You realize that 370cc injectors from an OEM nissan application are different than MSD 50 lb injectors right?

The 370cc drop right in to the factory rail and do not require anything additional.

The MSD injectors are top feed injectors and require a top feed fuel rail. In this instance the rail may not clear the TB and as such you need a two piece rail.

In either case the nismo AFPR is not a requirement as long as you are using a fuel pump that is the same pressure as the stock pump (3 bar).

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
ok, rather than 370cc injectors... blownb310 used the 279cc injectors from the SR20DE along with an SR20DE ECU, and it works great. he has a write up producing the thought, and producing the outcome on this forum... use the search tool.

beyondbiscuits2 ALSO just did the SAME thing with a T25, boosting 7psi, and he's taken in to 12psi. it WORKS, it's SAFE, and it's super cost efficient. it worked so well for them that i'm going to try it with my GA16i with GA16DE throttle body and intake manifold (start with 16DE ECU, if it works, move up to SR20).

My suggestion? DON'T buy the kit, it's not worth $2500.

buy the Turbo manifold and downpipe seperately, get the T25, the piping, the intercooler, and other quality parts. you'll pay about the same to get everything, you'll get more power safely, it'll work better, and you'll be just as happy.

seriously guys, the T20 can't handle much more than 6psi, so what's the point of 370cc injectors?? he can't push enough power to even come close to maxing out on them with the T20.

EDIT: IF you do need the kit, for whatever reason, DON'T get the intercooled kit. $1000 for an intercooler kit?!?!?! seriously. the non intercooled TSI kit is $1000+ less than the cooled kit, which makes zero sense.

EDIT2: the link you provided is the SUPERIOR kit. it DOESN'T have the intercooler. the extreme kit is cooled, the superior kit is not. also, that's the most expensive price i've seen for the kit, so shop around, just google turbo specialties turbo kit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info! I thought I read a write up of a member using a non intercooled kit with sr20 injectors/maf/ecu and was running great.

Ugh I just realize I posted this thread in the wrong section, If this was club3g.com I would of been flamed out of existance. My bad..

So Now After some strong imput Im leaning towards piecing together my own kit using the parts from the SR20 for tuning. Or would I call it tuning? Im just swaping over parts.

Im going to look more deeply into what blownb310 has done before I ask more questions

·
Registered
430 Posts
personally, id go hit up the classifieds for a complete kit www.sr20forum.com and www.sr20-forum.com youre more likely to get a complete kit from some kid that blew up his engine for much cheaper.
*snickers* so often is the case. there needs to be a role model brotherhood for neglected teen grease monkeys...

I called dibs on the female course.

heh.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts