Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ever since i got my 200sx se ive had the EGR giving me a code. I bought a new one but never installed it. im thinkin i wanna plug it. Its not operating on me now so i got nothing to lose. I hear all this about performance lost but when i 1st got my car bone stock no timing i ran a 16.7 1/4 mile. Now i have advance timing and have tune my engine a lot better. lemme get to the point, wut is the effects of plugging it? cleaner intake....cel light(already on)....I don see how its gonna hurt my performance. its a exhaust gas recirculation.

my second question can i get the plug from pep boys? thread and bolt size? i have teflon tape too.

thanks in advanced

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Code.

The most common cause of the EGR code is a torn hose. I hunted and hunted and did not find the torn hose until I completely disassembeled the EGR setup. There is no benefit to removing it. But if you do you will get a CEL and some minor running issues. You have to make your own plug.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd definitely go with wes on this one. I was getting an EGR code for almost a month. I had to look three different times until I found a hairline crack in one of the vaccum tubes. You can reset it as many times as you want, and it will still come back. That could very well be your problem here. It won't cost you anything to fix, and maybe you could return the new EGR and save yourself some bones.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no cracks in the hoses....the egr i got is froma junk yard so its dismissable.....i have no interest in fixing this now...haha...i jus feel like pluggin it and later on getting a jwt ecu with the egt off.

·
Banned
809 Posts
uhhh yal arent right... he is asking what is the problem with not having an EGR.. if i am not mistaken.. depends on where you are.. in TX.. if you dont have an EGR, your car makes "NoX" Not "NoS".. NOX is Nitros Oxide... a deadly gas yatta yatta yatta.. EGR almost completly stops that from happening, by increasing the temperature in air going into your engine. warmer air = less heat being produced.. dont ask how.. thats just how it works..

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Nitrous Oxide is No2. I live in cali and i am forced to buy a new one because of that damn CARB (Cali Air Resource Board) or something like that. Very Strict. i say if you already bought, just install it. No point in polluting the Earth even more

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
for a stock car, i would put the new egr valve in...and u might wanna consider replacing all the vaccuum hoses with new ones as well, sorta like a tune up and it doesnt cost that much $.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
The silcone hoses are not that expensive but the EGR valve is. I tried to get one at Autozone, and they told me it was going to cost $91. Luckily i have a brother who is a manager and can get me it for 30% off. Dont tell anyone. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts