Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you install the egr valve yourself? If so how did you do it and what was the price. I might need a new one myself, my car runs rough sometimes.

S

·
0 Posts
mine only cost me like 15 bucks, but thats with my napa discount (ranges from 15% to 35%) , ya its easy to install with a haynes repair manual

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm I might have to look into that, I'm not that good mechanically, well not that experienced. I have heard of many of our older cards needing new egr valves. Have you changed your fuel filter?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Napa wants $120 for a new egr valve and autozone wants $90....is it possible to clean an egr valve if it is only clogged with carbon deposits?

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Possible and a good idea. I have a used Nissan EGR sitting around my garage. Comes with the pipe that goes up to the intake manifold. (It's for a 95 Model GA16DE so I don't know if thats your car.) It's yours for $75 (the price a local junkyard charged me when I was looking for it). But you should clean your egr first, avoid getting cleaner on the diaphram.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no idea what the egr looks like or where it is found off of the top of my head. I will have to look at my manual when I get home. How would one go about cleaning it? I have some carborator spray, would that work?

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
yeah don't know what the egr looks like on that year but the idea is that there's a pintle sitting in there that is controlled at top by a diaphram. the diaphram is controlled to lift and let in exhaust into the egr with leads to the intake manifold. the area you want to focus on when cleaning is the pintle and the area around it. spray the cleaner in there and try not to hit the diaphram. i think the diaphram is rubber and can be damaged by cleaners and other petrol solvents.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would assume that I would need to remove the egr or atleast disconnect the hose leading to it to clean it correct? I bought a new pcv valve but can't find the stupid thing. The haynes manual shows a 91 model car in the picture which has the pcv valve in an entirely different place than the 89-90 sentras.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts