Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read and saw a kit from nissport that blocks off the egr valve on sr20 motors. would this be posible to do on a ga16de as well. I also read jwt can install a resitor to eliminate the check engine light. This would be so i would not have to bend a new one for my dp. I guess cost would be about the same to do either. Just want to know any draw backs and/or any benifits.

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
SXSENIS said:
I read and saw a kit from nissport that blocks off the egr valve on sr20 motors. would this be posible to do on a ga16de as well. I also read jwt can install a resitor to eliminate the check engine light. This would be so i would not have to bend a new one for my dp. I guess cost would be about the same to do either. Just want to know any draw backs and/or any benifits.
you probably wouldnt pass emissions if your state is gay like californina..

but really dont see the point in buying a kit for it..y not just be smart and buy the oem replacement?

·
Registered
82 Posts
slow200 said:
you probably wouldnt pass emissions if your state is gay like californina..

but really dont see the point in buying a kit for it..y not just be smart and buy the oem replacement?

why not just obstruct the egr back orifice with a iron plate?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No mine is working fine, and i know it would pass the sniffer. I was wondering the benifits of doing this. I.E. more power, better drivability, easier to tune? I don't know?...What is the main reason people do this mod?

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
In most GA applications it does not pay to do this. Esp. if CARB is an isue. It will not be worth the minimal gain you might see if in fact there is one. No one has really dynoed a before and after EGR on the same dyno and the same conditions.

I will say that I have the EGR removed in my car as I no longer have to deal with emissions inspection, however my car sees less than 4000 miles per year and is not a daily driver by any stretch. The ONLY reason I removed mine was because I am having a custom intake manifold made and it will significantly less complex without having to incorporate the EGR.

JWT can do the resistor but I believe it is on a case by case basis, you will have to contact JWT to see if they will do it on your application.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insight. It was just a idea. I don't think i'll do it. Not worth the effort. I was thinking of doing it so i would have to bend a new egr tube to fit. but it would only be about 10-15 bucks to bend up a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've heard of people doing it on 2nd gen rx-7's supposedly to get an extra pony or two. I was wondering about our cars too. Really, nobady has seen any difference with this removed?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,227 Posts
wes said:
If your car is an evo it might be a different story. On ours it makes little to no difference.
My understanding of the EGR is that it only operates at low and part throttle opening, and is closed at full throttle. So there is no power gain in doing this.
I blanked this off on my Z28 years ago. I was advised to do this by the machine shop when replacing my cracked heads.

·
Registered
189 Posts
EGR Death by design!

IanH said:
My understanding of the EGR is that it only operates at low and part throttle opening, and is closed at full throttle. So there is no power gain in doing this.
I blanked this off on my Z28 years ago. I was advised to do this by the machine shop when replacing my cracked heads.
I've tried this and he's right, no gain at WOT but it had another pony or two at part throttle and the real benefit is it helps keep the intake cleaner.
Whoever thought of re-circulating exhaust through a clean engine was probably trying to find a way to ensure the engine would fail after 200k mi or more (I'm convinced!). Used exhuast just clogs up the ports in the intake, dirties up the throttle plate and is just a stupid f'n idea!

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
DanTheMan said:
I've tried this and he's right, no gain at WOT but it had another pony or two at part throttle and the real benefit is it helps keep the intake cleaner.
Whoever thought of re-circulating exhaust through a clean engine was probably trying to find a way to ensure the engine would fail after 200k mi or more (I'm convinced!). Used exhuast just clogs up the ports in the intake, dirties up the throttle plate and is just a stupid f'n idea!
Helps re-burn and unused fuel and helps emissions. Bad for intake good for environment. And on a commuter purpose car that's the point.

·