Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told that I can get the JDM SR20DE but the company, http://www.a1jdmengines.com/home.htm says that I can use to ECU from my 1.6 in my 200SX, I highly doubt this, and I think they might think I have an sr20 already, anyway, i think i can get it wholesale for about 1000 both of those JDM, but maybe that's just standard price who knows, anyway I do need a new ECU right?

·
Registered
393 Posts
its a lot more complex than just engine and ecu tho.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'd be swapping an JDM SR20DE into a US GA16DE both of them manuals, and I figured on having more to change out, but how much exactly?

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Money-wise, you're going to spend $1500-$2000. If you're going to do it, I'd suggest you buy a wrecked SE-R for cheap and swap everything over, plus you can part out what's left and offset your expenses and if you're really shrewd and/or lucky, break even.

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
shouldnt cost that much if you are going to do it yourself. but yeah i was gonna swap a sr20 into my car and instead decided if i wanted the sr i would just buy a classic and use it as a race car. it's whichever you wanna do man

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
If he buys it part by part it will most certainly cost that much. If he paid labor on top of that, man, he'd be out $3000-$3500 easy.
$300-$450 JDM SR20DE
$400 RS5F32V tranny
$100 ECU
$100 Engine Harness
$60 mounts
$200 axles
$100 PS hoses
$50 MAF

Now, at conservatively pricing this stuff I'm already at $1400+ and that's assuming the engine includes an A/C pump or that he has one to swap onto the new engine, Alternator and PS pump. There's lots of little things that nickle and dime the price up. He's going to want to put a new clutch in while the tranny is out, so there's another $100-$400 depending on what he goes with. I'm not trying to be a know it all, I just think it's easy to be overly optimistic about what a swap would cost doing it yourself and you can't afford to be optimistic. Like I said, if you're serious about doing this swap, keep your eyes peeled for a wrecked SE-R you can pick up for a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I'm keen on a wrecked SER but I was really looking toward the JDM, I can also get a lot at dealer cost from companys like Place Racing(motor mounts) etc... and the Nissan Parts Department

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
ok ok ugot me...i was basing the swap on engine, trans, ecu, harness, axles, and one motor mount(bc you only have to change one). guess u could say doing a swap on a budget. if you are dead set on going jdm, keep in mind the only difference is sometimes .5 c/r and no egr valve..so to savesome money you could just go to your local dealer or mossy nissan and order some 10.0:1 pistons which i think are about $35 apiece???? and block off the egr valve. or you could find one that doesnt run and replace the block and head.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what about if I stuck with the 1.6 what kindof relatively inexpensive(in relation to the 3 to 5 thousand dollars for a swap) could I do to boost horsepower inside the engine, before any bolt-on mods?

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
well...you could buy the hotshot turbo kit, get a 3" straight thru exhaust, 2.5"or 3" downpipe, 240sx or 300z mass air, get you ecu reprogrammed and be making id guess 200 hp easy...at what boost level i have no idea. all that would be around maybe $4000-$4500 id guess.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW, that's be a whooping savings of 500 dollars, yeppie, ok enough with the sarcasim :) i mean i always hear about boring and what not, obviously being a show and sound guy I have no idea what this is nor what it refers to, i feel so stupid

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i mean I like fast, but i don't know how fast I need it to be, certainly not 4500 dollars faster, I am just looking for little tricks here and there for the engine, before I get into any bolt-ons. Maybe something that'll at least get me aboe 100 HP one I stick CAI and exhaust setup on there, plus maybe new header and we'll see from there

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you'd think but i think i read a thread a while back that had some pretty good mods on a b14 and he didn't even hit 95 or 98 i think, it was kindof sad

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
depends on the car man...nissan tries to make every car of the same model the exact same, but like everything there are some that just aren't quite the same. i know guys modifying mustangs and they have stroker kits, heads, headers and there cars are nowhere near running the times they should. too there could have been a slight problem with that guy's engine who had modded his ga16.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts