Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is embarassing, but I'm kind of lost.. I've got a menial budget, but the desire to do a turbo kit for my ga. Fabrication and installation aren't problems, niether are tools... but what's the deal with fuel and ecu? One, what would happen if you ran a standard turbo setup at about 7psi on the stock computer? I would think it would be an engine-destroying experiance, wouldn't it? I mean wouldn't that run lean to the point of blowing? Everyone I talk to says I don't need to frig with my computer, but I'm very skeptical. Two, the fuel pump... is it fine? All I need to do is slap in some 370cc injectors? I'm mainly concerned about the ECU, because between making my own parts, fabbing my own charge and exhaust piping and bugging a few DSM-obsessed buddies, A JWT ECU will easily cost more than the rest of my entire setup.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, that's the thing. I've been following the forums and NSPM's project ga16de-t project since it's conception, but I don't recall anyone mentioning "what happens if you don't change the ecu? Is that my only option? Modify/change the ecu?

As far as the parts go, I was planning on running with mostly 1g dsm turbo gear (turbo, wg, bov, etc.) and modifying the stock exhaust manifold to fit the units. I run a hotshot header right now, but I'd like to save the money of buying one of the nice mendral bent turbo manifolds. Also, I was planning on useing a front-mounted bluebird intercooler. Aside from the ecu and fuel questions, I was thinking of going with a 2.5" exhaust from the down-pipe back. Is there anything glaringly wrong with these ideas so far, or am I just not getting it? Thanks for any help you can offer.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lshadoff said:
The stock ECU controls the spark advance and air-fuel ratio based on maps built into it. The spark map is too advanced for boost, and will cause detonation when boost comes on. If you change the injectors to 370s, the ecu will not know that, and the engine will run pig rich, won't idle well, and will eat spark plugs at a fantastic rate.

Lew

Blah.. I figured as much. Thanks for the clarification though. As far as my planned setup goes, how does it sound?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.