Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my problem....

I read through the ECM checking post several times and I have discovered something is wrong with my 86.5 nissan hardbody 4wd v6 5sp. I turn the key as commanded and watch under my seat waiting for the blinking and pausing that should come. Only I find my ECM light is solid Orange (red and green both at same time I'm assuming) and does not pause (this is with the little toggle switch in "off" position. When I do click the toggle to the "on" position it blinks as follws.

2 red 4 green
3 red 1 green

So according to the forum my ECM isn't allowing me to select which mode I want to diagnose... and It's giving me an ECM error code.

Does this mean my ECM is shot and needs replaced? The truck runs "okay" stutters a lot... poor poor mileage... no power after 3500 rpm hardly. just replaced plugs and wires and my truck made a loud loud "ticking" for a few minutes afterwards too. It has stopped for now. I just want to know what i'm up against.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I didn't give more thorough information.

Its the 3.0 VG30i I believe. However... according to the person I purchased the truck from it's not the original motor that's in the truck. SOooooo if the ecm is for the vg30i and the motor that's now in the truck happens to be the vg30e (newer motor swapped in) would this cause my strange ecu readout and inability to change diagnostic modes? I'll try to locate the exact engine code when it's light out but I thought I'd try and pick someones brain.

·
Hardbody Freak
2,675 Posts
if the truck runs the it is most likely not the ecm..

i say most likely..

re read the codes .

put the key in the ign.

look at the ecm lights to see if they come on.

if they do then ,turn the key to the run position (but do not start the engine)

now flip the switch to the on position (ecm)

it willl blink 1 then twice then 3 times 4 and then 5 times.

when it comes around to 3 again turn the ecm switch off and then record the codes...

let us know how it goes...and what codes u record..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See that's the problem.....

I put in the key and I get no lights until I turn it to "run"

If i turn the key so the radio is on I get no lights on the ecm. If i turn the key until the "brake - oil - seat belt" lights come on - then I get the SOLID ORANGE light. no blinking (this is when the diagnosis switch is flicked to "off") then when i switch the ecm to "on" then I get the codes I posted earlier. I'm never presented with the option to change modes. I never get the 1 blink, 2 blinks, 3 blinks, etc. It's either codes or solid orange. I'm stumped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts