Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I have a 2002 SE-R spec V. I am a pretty good driver when it comes to shifting, but my car still eats gas as if it were oil. I go through almost a full tank of gas in about 1-3 days. I don't even drive full throttle. Also, the service engine light came on and the dealership said that the cap wasn't on tight enough. I have retightened and retightened but the light won't go off. It's been on for about 4 days. The dealership keeps saying the same thing. I was just wondering if anybody else had a problem like that.

and input would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank goodness it's not oil! I bought my Spec V in early December. Averaging 25-26 MPG.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kinda thought mine was too, so i reset the trip odometer, we will see. I drive alot and i like to drive fast, so im eatting the gas for a reason though...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Your code, I'm sure, is for "evap small leak". That means that the fuel system is not holding vacuum, so they tell you to make sure the gas cap is tight. All the newer Nissans are real sensitive to this. Make sure that when you put your gas cap on that you tighten it till it clicks. I have also seen cars come into the shop that have this problem from people who top off their gas. What happens is that gas goes into the vent tube. One of the tests that the tech is supposed to do is a vacuum test to see if the system holds vacuum or if there is a leak somewhere. That could be why your getting bad gas mileage too. But make sure that your gas cap is turned till it starts clicking.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plastic gas caps

The nissan guys said the same thing. That the gas cap wasn't on tight enough. So I always turn the cap until it clicks 10 times. And the service engine light is still on. I think it is something to do with a faulty gas cap because it is plastic and the seal isn't very strong.

·
Registered
871 Posts
What octaine gas are you using. I notice a diffrence in some cars when they are on lower octaine gas. I drive my Spec V to work everyday through the Houston rush hour, and still never get less than 20mpg. But i only ever use 93 octaine. My integra (when its timing is advanced full) wont even go down the street on a tank of 87, it burns that stuff like its not even there.

On a side note, regaurding the gas cap. Those are (or at least mine is) a 1/2 turn lock cap. That is a self tightening cap, meaning that if it clicks more than once its in place.

Fianly at what rpm are you shifitng in your daily driving. I would be shocked if i was ever over 3500 rpm my entire trip to work. I generaly shift right before 3,000 rpm. I find the SE-R with its 2.5L engine sucks gas after the valves kick over (3,600 i think). In contrast my integra i shift after 6,000 the majority of the time and still get good gas milage.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found out the problem! There is a leak in the "evaporator". I have no clue if it is even a real item, but never the less, is under warranty, so it's all gravy baby! Thanks for everybodies advice.

Jason

P.S. Nissan paint sucks balls!

·
Registered
674 Posts
They probably replaced the vent control valve. If you look under your car near the back bumper on the driver side there is a black plastic box or cannister. On the cannister there is the vent control valve. It has 1 electrical connection and a hose going to it. That is part of the fuel emissions. It has to be sealed. The ones that I have seen go bad have moisture in them and the valve inside rusts and does not allow it to control venting or allow it to seal. Usually if the valve is bad, it will give a code for the valve. There are other things that do not allow the system to pull vacuum. Could be a hose. But sometimes it isn't so cut and dry. The tech has to do a number of tests to figure out the cause. Hope that explains some of it.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
engine light response

Try unplugging the battery for a few minutes. Yes the gas cap being loose will cause this light to come on. Mine did and my friends also. Yes the Spec V eats gas like no tomorrow. That 2.5 gets thirsty.:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
drive by wire

well it's not really a matter of how easy you drive the car pedel wise. it doesn't have a throttle cable. it uses a small stepper motor on the throttle plate to open the valve. so even if you just lightly press the gas pedel it still opens the throttle a fair amount thets why the car just bolts off the line. and as far as the "switch over point" on cam timming the computer makes adjustments to the intake cam over the entire rpm range its not a hard set point like the vtec.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The gas mileage on my SER was brutal at the beginning. But I am finding that it is getting better as it breaks in. Its still not great, but I will give up some mileage for the extra power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts