Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Frankenstein started yesterday!!
After 3 days of work the e16t started yesterday
No oil leaks, exhaust leaks due to a too small flange...
Gas spills from the broken accelerator pump piston rubber boot over the carb after ~2 secs at medium acceleration and through the carb butterflies shafts, there is that drilling for boost line thing to be done...
Gas jets are 120 primary and 170 secondary
Cheap narrow band af/ratio is around 0.6 - 0.65 volts
Haven't revved more than 3k, I have no idea at what boost I am at, I'll install the boost meter this afternoon
I'm happy, the thing pulls like my dual carbs (both at medium throttle) and has that blow off sound, no annoying dual carb/four throat noise anymore
I'll post my results as I manage to make this baby work as a daily driver
Thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
Good luck, take it easy at first untill you know what pressure is going in.

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need a spark management system...
Maybe a stock dist + msd 6btm
Or the spring loaded vacuum advance used in the datsun 510
http://home.att.net/~jason510/turbo.htm
Thing starts to boost strong til 3 - 4 psi and hesitates
Spark plug gap is 0.5 mm
Any spark plug number recomendation?

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
go down to .35 gap... it will help a lot on a boosted n/a engine.

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
0.35 mm...
I'll do it after lunch and post my results
Culprit could be the vacuum operated secondary venturi not having vacuum for opening the butterfly... After all there is pressure inside the carb in relation to atmosferic outside pressure
I'll research this

·
Registered
502 Posts
.50 is too much gap, close it down!!

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I closed the gap to 0.3 mm
No major improvement, forgot to mention I have an accel supercoil (big yellow square thing)
I raised the fuel pressure, from 4 psi (dual carbs setting) to 6 psi and then 8 psi
At 6 psi fuel pressure it boosted clean til 3.5
At 8 psi fuel pressure it boosted clean til 4.2
Facet mini fuel pump isn't the most adequate (8 psi max fuel press)
Today I'll install a connector to the upper half of my holley fuel press regulator to 'sense' boost and regulate fuel press acordingly
I'll post my results

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I removed the vacuum diafragm that moved the secondary butterfly, after all at some boost number there is pressure in erlation to outer atmospheric pressure, and the secondary would close
I loaded it with a light spring, and the stumbling/coughing is gone, it pulls clean til 4.2 psi, then it stalls
I need more fuel press...
With 20 deg fixed timing there is not the slightest trace of detonation

·
Registered
502 Posts
velardejose said:
I removed the vacuum diafragm that moved the secondary butterfly, after all at some boost number there is pressure in erlation to outer atmospheric pressure, and the secondary would close
I loaded it with a light spring, and the stumbling/coughing is gone, it pulls clean til 4.2 psi, then it stalls
I need more fuel press...
With 20 deg fixed timing there is not the slightest trace of detonation
With that timing you wont have detonation until you go over 8 psi, i dont have detonation with that timing, 8psi and 9.0:1CR

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pic of the whole engine

Blow of valve

And downpipe

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got an old subaru fuel pump tested at 55 psi
Hope to install it this afternoon and to get a way of referencing the pressure regulator to the boost

·
Registered
502 Posts
velardejose said:
I got an old subaru fuel pump tested at 55 psi
Hope to install it this afternoon and to get a way of referencing the pressure regulator to the boost
That will do the job!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Any news on the car??

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still have a poor a/f mixture...
A couple pics:
New subaru pump, 55 psi tested

Lil hitachi carb, came with the e15 engine

And press regulator with a home made boost signal inlet (above the fuel press meter)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dude, you are almost there, keep it going!!! at 6 psi u are going to have some fun, I can wait to turbo my e16 and my sr20

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I changed the carb, the darn rubber boot above the accelerator fuel pump kept exploding, and after changing the third exploded rubber boot I switched for a solex dual 34 progressive carb, secondary mechanically operated
Car is smoother now, jets are small stil but it feels better
I changed my fixed advance dist, had lots of torque but zero mileage
Now I have a stock advance curve unit with a modified vacuum advance
It has springs at both sides of the diafragm, under vacuum it advances and when boosting it retards
Works better and I have some fuel mileage now
I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
502 Posts
velardejose said:
I changed the carb, the darn rubber boot above the accelerator fuel pump kept exploding, and after changing the third exploded rubber boot I switched for a solex dual 34 progressive carb, secondary mechanically operated
Car is smoother now, jets are small stil but it feels better
I changed my fixed advance dist, had lots of torque but zero mileage
Now I have a stock advance curve unit with a modified vacuum advance
It has springs at both sides of the diafragm, under vacuum it advances and when boosting it retards
Works better and I have some fuel mileage now
I'll keep you posted
Do you have any detonation now? What is your actual CR?
With that carb i think you will be better.
Are you still putting in 6psi and how much do you think you are retarding on boost?
Im running 9 psi, it runs very nice, but the problem im having is that the stock ignition isnt up to the task.
Ill have to buy a new coil and cables.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have an oiginal e16t engine

hi i am very curios about your project i have a nissan sport coupe that has the turbo engine from factory ( y am from mexico ) the engine is mpfi has the 8v head and has what i velive is a t 25 turbine , rigth now i am preparing to do an overhaul on the engine but i am considering in changing the turbo size to a t3 and the head to a 12v and also i saw in a mag a turbo system that is installed in the rear of the car here is my questions : what turbine size are you using , the psi of the gas , and how much retard of the timing are you using

1 - 20 of 39 Posts