Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know this place isn't as used as it once was but am seeing if I can find any info and advice on my engine and Weber conversion. Asking elsewhere, so apologies if you see this elsewhere on the web.

I acquired an 88 Nissan Pulsar last year and decided to go for the Weber conversion when the opportunity arose - the old Hitachi carb was playing up more and more each month and I've been struggling to correctly identify and purchase the neccessary rebuild kit.

So opted for the well serviced Weber - figured it a future proofing exercise if anything. Any gains or suchlike are secondary as this is a daily driver and I want to keep it that way for the foreseeable.

So I acquired TWO webers - both DGAVs - bought the service kit as well as a few replacement parts - emulsion tubes, jets and such like - to get it to the K662 spec as a baseline. Both carbs were stripped down, vapour cleaned and then one DGEV was built out of the best parts.

I checked the compression on the engine - bit lower than factory standard but the variation between cylinders was nominal - within compression readings for each cylinder were within 10% of each other.

The timing I figured was OK, but now I wonder if it's a bit out, so my first question is:

1) Can someone describe their process for setting the static timing on an E16S?

Want to use this as a baseline.

So I fit the carb - stripped the old one off; removed the PTC unit from the manifold; cleaned everything up and then mounted the carb as follows from the top down:

Weber
||
Gasket
||
Second Adapter Plate
||
Gasket
||
First Adapter Plate
||
Gasket
||
PTC Unit
||
Gasket
||
Inlet Manifold

With each gasket there was originally a coating of Permatex Form-A-Gasket.

I found that I couldn't use the bolts that came with the Adapter plates - they were too short overall and the front boltholes on the manifold went all the way through, so the bolts needed to be even longer and then secured with nuts underneath the manifold. Sourced my own, so that was OK.

Torqued everything down - used red threadlocker on bolts and studs. All fitted together nice & neat.

Then I hooked up the pipes - fuel line; return fuel line that then got sent back to the return line from the mechanical pump via a t-piece; vacuum advance from the distributor to the vacuum port on the carb; capped the original vacuum port on the manifold; the PCV stayed where it was between manifold and rocker cover; and the crankcase vent is left open (needs a filter).

So all seemed to be fine, and I started the engine..well it started.

It immediately revved up to about 2600rpm and slowly crept up to about 3000rpm and stayed there.

On review, it seemed there was a vacuum leak but I couldn't locate it. I double checked everything and then realised there were two coolant ports at the back of the manifold mounting face.

2) Do the ports on the manifold need to plugged, if so best way to do it?

So now, having gone back and forth with this carb, this is the fourth installation.

Any tips anyone can provide in this situation would be really greatful - pre-installation tips - not too fussed about tuning just yet.

Has anyone come across a similar issue with a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
357 Posts
<On review, it seemed there was a vacuum leak but I couldn't locate it. I double checked everything and then realised there were two coolant ports at the back of the manifold mounting face.>

What I recall about the E16S IM rear cooling was there was a rounded-rectangular passage that faced upward for the (PTC) mixture heater. The coolant flows up and "through" the small (horizontal) gasket that sits between the IM and the heater body and then back down. Don't recall any cooling ports, per se. But, sure remember lots of vacuum ports - for brake booster (and 1-way check valve), EGR/vapor canister solenoid, AIV solenoid, 2 TVVs, vacuum motor (on top front of air intake), vapor canister itself, bi-metal idle compensators, for AIV itself, and for the VCM and BPT and EGR valves.. If you could post a pic, could tell you which ones of yours are disconnected.

There were 53-56 vacuum hoses on the E16S. I can tell you every one of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<On review, it seemed there was a vacuum leak but I couldn't locate it. I double checked everything and then realised there were two coolant ports at the back of the manifold mounting face.>

What I recall about the E16S IM rear cooling was there was a rounded-rectangular passage that faced upward for the (PTC) mixture heater. The coolant flows up and "through" the small (horizontal) gasket that sits between the IM and the heater body and then back down. Don't recall any cooling ports, per se. But, sure remember lots of vacuum ports - for brake booster (and 1-way check valve), EGR/vapor canister solenoid, AIV solenoid, 2 TVVs, vacuum motor (on top front of air intake), vapor canister itself, bi-metal idle compensators, for AIV itself, and for the VCM and BPT and EGR valves.. If you could post a pic, could tell you which ones of yours are disconnected.

There were 53-56 vacuum hoses on the E16S. I can tell you every one of them.
Thanks for the response - been away but back on this now. Here's a pic of the face of the IM,

i.imgur.com/VTSFeUm.jpg - my post count isn't high enough for posting links and images apparently

The passage you describe are the ports I'm talking about - apologies if my terminology is off. Any ideas about plugging them?

Vacuum port wise, there's not much - ignition timing advance (plugged in this photo and redirected to the Weber), PCV (top left in this photo).. that's it it seems. Am putting a crankcase breather filter on to the spare port on the valve cover that went to the air cleaner.

Thanks for your help thus far!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Great pic. Yes, that was/is the PTC mixture heater cooling passage. Not sure what to suggest for preventing coolant loss out of the channels, if the PTC and its gasket are being left off (not re-installed). Your original post referred to re-installing the mixture heater and (its bottom) gasket, which would route the coolant between the channels without coolant or air leak(age).

Your crankcase breather idea on the VC port sounds good also.

You've done a lot of work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great pic. Yes, that was/is the PTC mixture heater cooling passage. Not sure what to suggest for preventing coolant loss out of the channels, if the PTC and its gasket are being left off (not re-installed). Your original post referred to re-installing the mixture heater and (its bottom) gasket, which would route the coolant between the channels without coolant or air leak(age).

Your crankcase breather idea on the VC port sounds good also.

You've done a lot of work.
Thanks! Am getting there slowly.

I did wonder why it was leaking - essentially, it's as you say, the coolant gets pumped around the hole in the PTC, with a brass plate on the original carb sealing the chamber from above.

That brass plate is simply replaced by the adapter plate. Not sure why that's now an issue.

I've tightened down the separate pieces, making sure the Hylomar gasket sealant has flashed first. Then let everything cure for 24 hours - not sure I even need to do that. Start the car up - instantly revs at about 2500rpm and up. Coolant starts leaking out the back.

Conundrums, conundrums..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts