Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched around and actually have two FSM on the e16s engine, one says timing should be 1o and the other 7o. what should it be?

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
where do you live ?
wath year is your car ?
wath mods have you done ?
the stock timing shouldnt be really observed for performance. ive run my E16i up to 14* without major hesitation on high octane... and my E15it is @ 11*btdc

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Uruguay, South america, the car is a Sentra B13 1993, with the E16S engine, carburated engine, so timing is different than the injection ones, not sure why.
Now y read in another place that timing should be 5o for this engine.
So i have 1o, 5o and 7o as options.
Another thing is that now the engine has a turbo blowing 8psi, but still i would like to know what stock timing should be, then ill se what i really do because of the turbo.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
i suggest you get it on a dyno if you can acess one in your area... those guy can probably be more help for correct timing. other than that use 5 to 7* you shouldnt have any problems.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But the engine is a E16s, it doesnt matter in which country i am or which car the engine is on, right?

·
Registered
275 Posts
if its a B13 you definately wont have a carbed engine just to let you know. all of em were fuel injected by then if im not mistaken

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
dburone said:
But the engine is a E16s, it doesnt matter in which country i am or which car the engine is on, right?
wath should really matter here is the ECU. but, IMO the FSM/manual wont tell you this... because there is so much ecu on the market from different country, they all got they're own tuning from each country due to wath polution control, temperature, sea level ect .... that why they all get different seting. As for a b13 with an E16s ... i cant help.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its an E16S, its carbed, i dont have any ecu. And im sure its carbed because i already replaced the stock carb for another one.
Well i guess ill have to tune it by what y feel.
The thing is that about 5000rpm with 8psi, i may get a little detonation, so im going to see how i can solve this.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any one knows the ignition curve of a e16s engine? I really need it.
I also need to change the curve on my distributor, but im not sure how.

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Get an o2 sensor, even a narrow band will help (generic, from any fi car, 1 wire for simplicity purposes)
See if your exhaust o2 content arises at 5000 rpm (voltages under 0.7)
That will give you an idea about this
A broad band o2 sensor is the perfect tool but you will find it at around 500 dollars...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
velardejose said:
Get an o2 sensor, even a narrow band will help (generic, from any fi car, 1 wire for simplicity purposes)
See if your exhaust o2 content arises at 5000 rpm (voltages under 0.7)
That will give you an idea about this
A broad band o2 sensor is the perfect tool but you will find it at around 500 dollars...
I already have a narrow band sensor and it stays steady in the middle even at full boost, but how does this tell me if timing is good or if im having detonation?

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
I had a 0.5 - 0.6 reading before I switched to bigger jets, now the reading stays between ~0.65 at idle and 0.8 at full throttle (140 main gas jet before, 170 after)
And the car pulls noticeable stronger :)
I advanced my timing to 25° and reading stays at 0.6 idle and 0.7 full throttle
Pulls stronger...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
velardejose said:
I had a 0.5 - 0.6 reading before I switched to bigger jets, now the reading stays between ~0.65 at idle and 0.8 at full throttle (140 main gas jet before, 170 after)
And the car pulls noticeable stronger :)
I advanced my timing to 25° and reading stays at 0.6 idle and 0.7 full throttle
Pulls stronger...
At what rpms do you have 25 of advance?

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
All ;)
This dist has a fixed advance, 25° at idle, 2k, 5k and up

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
velardejose said:
All ;)
This dist has a fixed advance, 25° at idle, 2k, 5k and up
With that timing, how does it run from a standstill and is it easy to start on the mornings?

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Perfect and revs strong from low rpms
I am using 90 oct gas at the moment ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally I got my timing data

RPM Timing
0 0
1000 10
1500 15
2000 20
2500 23
3000 25
3500 30
4000 30
4500 35
5000 35
5500 35
6000 35

I guess this is to much advance for a turbo car.
I tried connecting the vacuum advance to the manifold so it always has vacuum, and then i set initiall timming again to 10BTDC, this way the vacuum advance is always advancing to stock timing and when boost starts it retards 10. It was only a test, but i found out that the detonation i was hearing was less now, then i tried the same thing with initial timing at 5BTDC and the car was slower at low revs, but didnt have any trouble at high revs and couldnt hear any detonation at all. So i guess the engine liked to retard about 15.
This was just a test, but now its clear i have to do something with my timing, ill have to make some device that advances normally with stock timing untill boost starts and then retard about 15 which tells me that max advance with the data above will be about 20btdc with boost if i dont step hard on it it will work almost like stock.
What do you guys think?

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Hearing detonation and your engine still alive?
You are lucky
How much boost?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts