Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've turbo'd a few different cars but never had anything to do with this engine. Its a mates and he wants me to boost it for him, so just a couple questions, cheers. (its an e16i, tbi engine in N13 pulsar)

Oil/water lines - are there any provisions? Or is it a case of drill a hole for drain, tap into oil sender for feed?

Fuel, its TBI, does it need to be modified? I'm not familiar on how it works, theres no air flow meter or anything (only had a quick look at the motor in the dark) does it have a map sensor or is it just throttle position/rpm mapping??? Will it handle blow through or is it best suited to a draw through setup (like carby)?. How much power is it good for? (handle say 6-7psi with a small cooler, you'd assume a ~ 50% power increase?) Or what are the options to upgrade?

e15et crossed my mind, but the engine and parts are impossible to find. I'll use somthing like a stock turbo from a ca18det, or maybe a small oil fed turbo if i find one. I have a mig and can custom make manifolds/piping etc, not interested in lowering the compression or opening the engine at all.

cheers

·
Registered
734 Posts
um the air flow meter is on the TBI. its small and its there.

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Look up the posts by Sentrastyle here on the Forums. He has boosted his GA16i, which is TBFI just like the E16i in question. You'll have to most likely use an additional fuel injector, as well as some solenoid system to spray it when under boost. You'll be limited on boost unless you figure out a way to adapt a later model MAF sensor to it.

Here is a link to his posts:
http://www.nissanforums.com/e-ca-series-ga16i-engines/134033-ga16i-pistons.html

In regards to the oil issue; use the oil pressure sender on the engine block to feed the turbo, tap the oil pan, and then drain from the turbo downward. Most simple solution; just make sure there are no kinks on the oil drain or you'll crap out your turbo seals and possibly run your engine dry.

If the E-series is anything like the GA-series (which is is and has a lower compression ratio), you won't need much boost to make the engine come alive. I used a tiny K03 turbo off a Volkswagen 1.8T, and at only 4 lbs of boost, my car booked like nothing else. I would keep boost around 5-7 lbs since the stock MAF sensor can probably only handle that much before crapping out.

What type of fuel management are you going to use? S-AFC 2, Megasquirt, eManage? I don't know if any of these are compatible with the E16i. You might try and get a hold of a complete E15ET intake manifold and ECU. Check EXAclub.com, they have all kinds of goodies for sale. As for a turbo manifold, you could probably chop the factory flange off the stock manifold and weld on the appropriate flange, or make your own; whatever is easier.

Lastly, what turbo do you plan on running? You mentioned CA18DET, which has a T25. That would be a good choice with engine management; otherwise I would chose something like a T2, T20, or smaller. There are some good small turbos out there that require less fuel modifications for good power gains.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, cheers heaps for the info

You'll have to most likely use an additional fuel injector, as well as some solenoid system to spray it when under boost. You'll be limited on boost unless you figure out a way to adapt a later model MAF sensor to it.
uhk cheers, so the stock injector wouldn't be able to handle even slight boost? Does the afm have any adjustment, i.e. so i could lean the car out then increase fuel pressure? Only want to deal with low boost, after the cheapest and easiest way. I can setup the extra injector, its just not my preferred method of adding fueling.

In regards to the oil issue; use the oil pressure sender on the engine block to feed the turbo, tap the oil pan, and then drain from the turbo downward. Most simple solution; just make sure there are no kinks on the oil drain or you'll crap out your turbo seals and possibly run your engine dry.
Yeah no worries, that the way i usually do it, just checking if there was a hidden bung i could use,

If the E-series is anything like the GA-series (which is is and has a lower compression ratio), you won't need much boost to make the engine come alive. I used a tiny K03 turbo off a Volkswagen 1.8T, and at only 4 lbs of boost, my car booked like nothing else. I would keep boost around 5-7 lbs since the stock MAF sensor can probably only handle that much before crapping out.
Yeah i had a 3L on 3PSI (6PSI actuator, but mega pressure drop by the time it hit the plenum, do to small cooler, afm, other misc restrictions) I didnt realise as i didnt have a boost guage, it still went fantastic though, great on petrol aswell, (until i tripled the boost :p)

What type of fuel management are you going to use? S-AFC 2, Megasquirt, eManage? I don't know if any of these are compatible with the E16i. You might try and get a hold of a complete E15ET intake manifold and ECU. Check EXAclub.com, they have all kinds of goodies for sale. As for a turbo manifold, you could probably chop the factory flange off the stock manifold and weld on the appropriate flange, or make your own; whatever is easier.
none if i can get away with it, just want to spend on basic supporting mods, its a cheap engine in a cheap car, aftermarket management just wouldn't be worth it. As for the e15 running gear, it is an option, but how many bits would i end up needing? intake, injectors, afm?, loom? is everything else compatible?

Lastly, what turbo do you plan on running? You mentioned CA18DET, which has a T25. That would be a good choice with engine management; otherwise I would chose something like a T2, T20, or smaller. There are some good small turbos out there that require less fuel modifications for good power gains.
uhk, well im not going aftermarket management, but as for turbo, im after somthing that will make the boost i want relitively easy, i'd rather a turbo that doesnt have to work hard to feed the engine, so i get nice cold boost and less restriction in the exhaust, so if i can get reasonable spool on a bit turbo, i'd rather use that and run less boost, than a smaller turbo on more for the same power output.

that said, i'll end up with whatever i can end up with as cheap as possible, so somewhere between a t2 and t25, somthing designed for a ~ 1.8L would be about ideal for the 1.6, because of its CR etc.

thanks again

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
To be quite honest, I do not know how well a single TB injector will handle boost. I do not even know the spray of the E16i's single injector; I know it is a good deal as compared to a MPFI setup. It might handle boost just as well as a regular MPFI setup mated with a smaller turbo. As for turning down the fuel pressure, I wouldn't do it since you only have one injector. If anything, you'll run lean, so you'll want to increase the pressure; at least that is what I discovered when running a K03 with only an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (whited the spark plugs nicely).

I figured you knew how to run oil lines to a turbo, but one does have the check :). You could always use an E15ET oil pan, but like you said, have fun getting your hands on one of those.

In regards to the E15ET manifold and ECU, you'd probably need all the sensors (MAF, air temperature sensor, IACV, etc.) Your coolant temp sensors will most likely be the same, as will the cam position sensor. But, with the E15ET manifold, you can run larger displacement injectors (not sure if top-feed or side-feed; I'd bet side-feed) and a better MAF sensor. That makes tuning much easier if you care about not destroying the engine. Otherwise, just run balls out and see what tweaks you can do to keep it running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be quite honest, I do not know how well a single TB injector will handle boost. I do not even know the spray of the E16i's single injector; I know it is a good deal as compared to a MPFI setup. It might handle boost just as well as a regular MPFI setup mated with a smaller turbo. As for turning down the fuel pressure, I wouldn't do it since you only have one injector. If anything, you'll run lean, so you'll want to increase the pressure; at least that is what I discovered when running a K03 with only an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (whited the spark plugs nicely).
Turning down the fuel pressure? i said "Does the afm have any adjustment, i.e. so i could lean the car out then increase fuel pressure?"

So i have the intention of raising the fuel pressure, i was just asking if the afm can be leaned out, to i can then increase the fuel pressure to give me more leg room without running rich down low.

As for FI with TBI, there are cars out with it, the old mazda 929 is 2L TBI turbo, as is the cordia turbo, i dont know if you have them over there?

To start with i might just stick a higher pressure fuel pump in it, and raise the fuel pressure, just need to figure a way to lean it out at the management end to stop it running rich before the injectors max, a rising rate fpr is an optionbut not real efficient. You said the afms aren't good for much boost anway, so if im limited there, i can only run low boost anyway. I might just give it a go, and give it a run on a dyno and watch the a/f mixes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts