Nissan Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone offer some advice on how to get the timing pully off the crankshaft? There are no bolt puller holes tapped in it (though I could go that route and add them). The pully seems to be strictly an interference fit, relying on the external belt pully's to prevent it from coming off. I spoke with a Nissan mechanic and was told that, when they still used to do rebuilds, they mostly went at it with a grinder / chisle and removed it that way, then used a new timing pully. I also saw someone mention heating it with a torch. There is about zero clearance on the back so I can't get a typical claw style gear puller on it. I've tried wedging behind it to force it off, that's done nothing but buggered the shield/timing belt guide behind it. I have tried using a propane torch on it, and there's just too much thermal mass there to get it hot enough to make a difference... I think.

Am I missing something? Is there a stop key in it? (It didn't look like that was the case on the new pully). Should I just go at it with a pair of goggles and a grinder? I'd really like to get this engine completely stripped and get it to the machine shop so I can get it rebuilt. If you've done this before, or have any ideas, please help!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts