Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 Sentra with an e16i.
It was given to me a couple of years ago with a blown head gasket between the #3 and #4 cly.
I had the head plained .005 in and put it back together.
It fouled the 3 and 4 cylinders but I used it a couple years anyway (field car)
I just tore it down and had it bored .020 in. put it back together and now it detonates so bad it sounds like a diesel. Runs smooth but cannot get detonation to go away until timing is retarded to 3 degrees ATC.
I checked the compressiona and it is 175 to 180 lbs with the engine warm and the throttle CLOSED.
The machine shop says there is only one piston available for the e16i.
I'd say that 175 lbs of compression is pretty high.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
try getter cooler spark plug, gap it closer than OEM suggest (more like .025 should help), also use higher octane fuel... if all that doesnt help see for a correct timing belt alignment... make car had that diesel feeling before i took it off the road. it was the timing belt streched (long story)... could also be the tensioner that went.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crazy-Mart said:
try getter cooler spark plug, gap it closer than OEM suggest (more like .025 should help), also use higher octane fuel... if all that doesnt help see for a correct timing belt alignment... make car had that diesel feeling before i took it off the road. it was the timing belt streched (long story)... could also be the tensioner that went.
Do you think that 175 lbs of compression is pretty high?

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
i wouldnt think its bad ... still id take a look into a manual see the spec for this engine. (someone here can probably give some numbers)

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Hi
For a stock e16e engine
Normal 178 psi at 350 rpm
Minimum 163 psi at 350 rpm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your help.
I am suspicious of my injector, it was stuck when I got the car and I got it to work by blowing on it with the air hose (140 psi)
I filled the fuel filter with Lucas upper cylinder lubricant the other day and it seemed to help the situation temporarily. Seems worse now though.
I have found a rebuilt injector for around $50. It should be here early this week.
New one is around $200
I will post my results

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
still after it

I have replaced the injector with an overhauled one and installed a new o2 sensor with no change in detonation problem.
I added 5 gal of 91 octane and it helped slightly, doesn't rattle as bad after warmed up good. I have the timing around 3 or 4 degrees BTC. Rattles real hard when cold, (even idleing).
The ECM is self diagnostic and the red and green LEDS display everything is okay.
I am thinking of tearing it done and comparing pistons and measuring the head in case someone planed it before I. I had .005" taken off.
May just convert it to propane if possible.
It is a field car, I have been putting 25 miles a day on it and not getting a mile from the farm, mostly offroad.
Has anyone messed with a throttle position sensor before?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts