Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first nissan build up and I would like to get as many good parts together as possible for the 86 pulsar I'm building. So far I have an assembled short block, with 0.75mm over sealed power OE replacement pistons, perfect circle rings with chrome upper and cast lower, and ACL bearings. The bottom end is standard size, balanced and polished. I have an 11M head that was decked and had a valve job done before I knew about the 33M head. I found one at the wrecker today and set it aside ;). My main focus now is what cam to use. I want to build power from 3-7000RPM. I have a mild cam with .402 lift I will put on the 11M head with new stock springs and rockers for now. I wish I had researched my options beforehand. Now I will build a ported 33M head with a hotter cam, double springs and a custom intake for a set of 33mm kei-him carbs off a 80 CB900 honda bike. I'm looking for a pacesetter header also. I'm also putting in a 5-speed trans but all the early style shifters are cut by a torch so I have the later style.

If anyone has any advise or info for me before I proceed further I'd like to hear from you. I have already been reading up on all the tips and tricks you guys have used.

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Sounds nice :thumbup:
Those bike carbs are the stromberg type or the common butterfly type?
Do you have other jet sizes available? Rebuild kit?
I think it would be easier to get jets and other parts for weber or solex mikuni carbs
It is important to have all reciprocating parts balanced for 8000 rpm if your goal is 7000
Flywheel?
Crankshaft pulley?

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
sounds pretty good... keep it coming !!... the cam you got should plenty of fun till the 6500rpm/7000 with decent intake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I cant afford webbers, and I have done lots of tuning on kei-hin carbs, so I can make them work nicely. The kei-hin carbs are the variable venturi type, and the spring in the top will have to be made firmer to compensate for the stronger vacuum signal. The jets are also easy to change. I have a very nice 33M head now, as well as a 5 speed trans from a 90 sentra. I have a mint clutch, but it is not strong enough, so I'll probably buy a new clutch for a b210 datsun. That will bolt on to the stock flywheel right? I pretty much have everything I need, except a header. I even took a tilt steering column, while I was getting the pedal assembly. If you guys have any suspension tips I could use some. I was wondering how many coils to cut of the springs to lower it 2". I would think 1 and a half should do it. I have an extra set of springs to mess with.

Thanks for the feedback so far, and I have lots of pics, but I dont know how to attach them.

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Just load your pics in a public site, like this www.fotogenika.com, then paste the url here
Variable venturi or stromberg type, thats means 'needle' tuning

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Almost forgot, don't cut your oem springs unless you have no way of getting lower/stiffer ones (if your car has more acceleration you must be able to control it)
I cut my front springs more than a year ago and now I have a strange behaving front suspension
Just don't cut them, get stiffer ones to do some cutting

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I have to get some springs from a stanza wagon or something. Also, the variable venturi carbs have a spring loaded vacuum controlled slide that opens the venturi at a controlled rate to avoid bogging down the motor under quick bursts of throttle, and makes for smoother overall operation of the vehicle. Stromberg carbs are the same style but are a little simpler. My carbs have fixed needles, but adjustable one are available.
Blownb310 has put stiffer springs in his pulsar from a wagon I'm pretty sure, so I guess its back to the junk yard for me. Good thing I didnt cut my springs I guess. Thanks for saving me some time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts