Nissan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fatty
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother has a 98 sx and during the winter every year we have problems with the brake sticking....we started it today and noticed it was stuck and normally if we drive for a little bit it unlocks...but we got oiut and looked at the brakes....and the disks were glowing...lol....it finally came undone after we stopped and fiddled wkith it....this summer we replaced the brakes and wire wheeled and greesed everything...n e one know what could be causing it??

·
Banned
17 Posts
chubsmagee44 said:
my brother has a 98 sx and during the winter every year we have problems with the brake sticking....we started it today and noticed it was stuck and normally if we drive for a little bit it unlocks...but we got oiut and looked at the brakes....and the disks were glowing...lol....it finally came undone after we stopped and fiddled wkith it....this summer we replaced the brakes and wire wheeled and greesed everything...n e one know what could be causing it??
mabye a lot of e-brake powersliding? happend to my friends civic as we were sliding around in icy parking lots....after a huge slide we drove back to his house and he said his car felt like it was draging or he had a flat tire we looked and there was a rancid ass smell comming from the rear......turns out his ebrake was screwed idk the rest but car is fine now

·
Fatty
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no...he doesnt do much sliding..he doesnt do any...he doesnt have a liscence....but my dad drives it alot...and aint doin n e slidin.....and its happened EVERY year we have had it

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
When you replaced the brakes did you replace all the springs and clips as well?
When it sticks, does the e-brake handle do down? Or is it stuck up? If it goes down that narrows it down to the rear brake assembely, or the e-brake cable itself. Hard winters brake down the lubrication needed for the cable to slid back and forth. Try spraying the cables entire length. Also pop off the drum, and inspect all of the sprins and clips.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
luckysperm1 said:
take off the rear wheels and check the clearence of the pads between the disks i believe you can ajust this distance but im not too sure
Our rear brakes are self adjusting. The only time you have to mess with the adjuster, is when installing new shoes. You have to turn the adjuster down to get the new shoes to fit inside the drums. Since the old ones have been adjusted out.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Nostrodomas said:
Our rear brakes are self adjusting. The only time you have to mess with the adjuster, is when installing new shoes. You have to turn the adjuster down to get the new shoes to fit inside the drums. Since the old ones have been adjusted out.
i think he said his rear disks were glowing?

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
e brake works the same way on discs...just the mechanism on the brake is a smidge different.(duh).

e brakes tend to freeze the pads to the disc if left applied at below freezing temps. try leaving the car in gear instead of p-brake, guarantee it wont freeze :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.