Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my fuel pump might be on its way out, but it's acting weird enough that I think it may be an electrical problem?

Truck is a 93 4-cylinder, 230000 km.

First time it died, highway driving, pouring rain at night. Lights on, wipers on max, fan blowing. Pump killed the fuse. Didn't realize it at the time so had it towed. Replaced the fuse the next day and it was fine for another 2 months. Hadn't driven in such poor conditions since.

Last week, same driving conditions (highway, pouring rain, night ,fan) and the fuse went again. Took 4 fuses to get me home. Next day, dries up and its been fine since (4 days)

Both times, the draw when the fuses went seemed to be heavy on the battery (dimming lights, etc.). The first time, the turn signal/emergency lights fuse also went.

My mechanic thinks the pump is on its way out but can't guarantee it's not an electrical problem.

Is it just coincidence that both times it died, the driving conditions were extremely poor? I have driven on the highway since, but not in pouring rain at night.

Problem started after I installed a new starter motors. Also coincidence?

The fuel pump is on its own circuit so it shouldn't be affected by draw from other systems.

I'd love some advice, please.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update and more questions

dvdswanson - you're spot on.

So, truck ran for a few more months. Didn't have any problems with it. Even drove it in the pouring rain and then a couple of weeks ago everything went south again.

It started blowing fuses again while trying to start it. It had run earlier in the day. Even with a 20amp, I couldn't get it to run. It blew the fuses immediately when trying to turn it over. I had it towed to my mechanic who assumed the pump had died. It seemed to make sense as we couldn't get it to run without blowing fuses immediately. He replaced the fuel pump and the truck was running again.

Last weekend while driving on the highway, the fuel gauge started acting funny. All of a sudden it would drop a 1/4 tank and then later return to where it was. It did this a few times. I stopped for gas and when I tried to start it again, it blew the fuel pump fuse. I put a 15amp fuse in, which got me home (about 100km). The fuel gauge was still acting funny.

This afternoon, when I tried to start it while out running errands, it blew the fuse again. I tried a few more fuses and they all blew.

So, the pump was not the issue.

What is the relationship of the fuel gauge to the pump? Is the erratic fuel reading related, and does it provide a clue where the problem in the electrical might be?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts