Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to be at work early today and rushed out of the house. My mind was on work and accidentally drove to work with my e-brake on in my '97 XE. When I got here, my brakes were smoking badly. Did I hurt them bad? They are relatively new brakes. Any thoughts (aside from me being an idiot - because I'm well aware of that at this point) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You toasted them. Go get some new ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, doesn't seem like it. I let it sit till lunch so they cooled off, I went out and tested it in the parking lot. Brakes were new, and everything around the wheel looks good. Brakes are obviously NOT new anymore, but they are responding very well both to easy stops and quick stops. I think i got lucky as my drive to work is rather short (about 10 miles).

·
Registered
59 Posts
ok, well, will the rear tires lock up if you try?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just because you can still stop doesn't mean you didn't damage the brake shoes/pads and drums/rotors. If they were hot enough to be smoking, you can bet they are glazed over.
The fact that you drove ~10 miles with the park brake engaged, proves you didn't have it set very well.
I would highly advise you to replace the shoes/pads, and turn the drums/rotors on the rear. It's not that difficult to do, nor expensive. Especially compared to the cost to repair/replace the truck due to crashing it because the brakes aren't able to give you 100% anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts