Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a few days ago, I jumped in my car and found my battery was completely drained. Turns out I left my fog lights on for 2 days. Now that I charged my battery back up, I realize this can easily happen again. Before, I safe-proofed them by tapping the relay into my corners so I can't leave them on without my lights being on, that way it would at least beep at me. This time the beep didn't get my attention and now I wonder if I can wire them up so they can't be left on with the key out.

earlier, I bought a relay at pep boys for this project. but I need some power source to tap into where it will be tapped into the ignition. I know there is a fuse box under the hood somewhere, but I'm not sure where and exactly how to tap it. I want it to work at the point where the radio turns on too (I don't want to directly tap into the radio power source, so don't tell me that).

there are 4 points on the key switch, 1 is off, 2 is where the radio turns on, 3 is where the AC turns on and 4 starts the car. I want the lights to work at 2. someone help me out.

BTW, I don't want them to be DRLs, that's why I have a second switch in there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
an easy soltion...is to tie into your cigarette lighter....it engages with the rest of the car at ingition turn 2. When, and if you decide to go this rought....the main power on the cigarette lighter is the middle pin thing. well I hoped I helped and good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I imagine there is but its beond me and dont know how easy it would be especially compared to tying into the cig lighter...well I hope you get the help you need.

·
Search Whore
209 Posts
You'll need three relays one for each headlight (they are on sperate circuits) and one for the parking lights. the relay should be rated at 30amps (headlight take quite a bit of power.) anyway all the wires you need can be found on the light switch. take off the plastic around the steeing wheel. unplug the harness going to the light switch. use a multimeter or testlight to find the 3 power wires going to the switch. cut each wire and connect them to the "switch" terminals of each relay. Make sure you insult everything well. connect one side of the coil on each relay to ground and the other to Accessory power (from the radio, cig light ... whatever.) Never have a dead battery again my friend. I did it to both my sentra's and my ex-g/f's civic not too hard just take your time.

·
Search Whore
209 Posts
Yes you must insult the wiring! lol

anyway where in FL are you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts