Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to replace my s13 hatch's stock driveshaft

curious to see which is better for the money, either a 1 piece steel or aluminum driveshaft or maybe carbon fiber????

thanks!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
there's only two reasons why you change a driveshaft...

torque withstanding
&
weight reduction

if i remember correctly the stock is iron/steel? blah... don't know..

but a steel... you don't need that unless you've got a lot of power

aluminum... great for weight reduction but you'll have trouble down the road if you max out your power

carbon fiber... i'm sure... is a mix of both... strength and lightweight...

but in the end.. i've seen plenty of badass 240's with stock driveshafts...

all that finetuning crap doesn't really matter until you're dealing with an extremly pricey toy or a $100,000 race car.

if i was you, i'd put the money under the hood.

·
Super Moderator
3,203 Posts
i dont know, the stock d/s imo, is absolute crap. why nissan went with a 2 piece on an irs rear end is beyond me. mine makes noise and pisses me off. im getting a 1 piece as soon as possible.

·
Registered
430 Posts
*shrugs*

it is a two piece and not too strong, yeah..

but i've never had a problem with it on mine. tell ya tha truth, i never had any noises come from it either.. wish i could hear yours so i'd know it right off the bat.

i dunno man, my s-13 has a badass stock engine in it that knocks out other cars with turbos and other mods... so for me personally (and i mean for me), i feel mine is perfectly fine until i do some heavy heavy changes.

lol... but you have to take into account the price too..

you break it, you can get another from a yard easy for cheap.

·
Super Moderator
3,203 Posts
yeah my sr doesnt like the stock d/s. knocks every time i take and the 6 puck clutch doesnt help much either...
i can get a 1 piece anywhere from 160 to about 250 so its definitely something im looking into doing very soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dude i got a one piece and it rattles all the time i think the shoulda made it an inch shorter to compensate for the bend in the two piece. i don't know why they make them exactly the same length as the stock with out the bend. every one ive seen has to do some kinda mods to make it fit. you can take out the oem without dropping the trans or the diff but with the 1 peice you cant get it in or out without doing 1 of the 2. plus you gotta cut the dust cover for the rear seal on the trans, well either that or fab a new one. either way dont think its gona be plug & play.

·
Registered
430 Posts
you have u-bolts on the 1 piece back by the diff so you can take it out?

or is it just so loose in there that it falls out?

that's really bad.

hell...160 ain't bad, unless you've got welding equip... then just get the front and back section of the 2 piece and weld in some tubing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts