Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, the rear u-joint (in front of the diff.) on my driveshaft has gone out.
As I understand it these are non-replaceable. I need a replacement driveshaft. Can anyone tell me which driveshafts from which years/models will fit?

I did find a post stating that any driveshaft from a 86.5 - 94 Kingcab would fit, can anyone confirm this to be the case?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
THe serial number on this truck starts with a J - does this mean it's japanese made, and does this mean the u-jpoints are replaceble? Is there a way to tell by looking at them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump
OK, u-joints are not replaceable.
ANyone have an answer to the original post?

·
Registered
207 Posts
...I assume u'r gonna get it from a junk yard? If so, I'd go ahead and pull it, and just carry it with you and size it up on the spot. Safest way to do it. Also keep in mind the dust cover on the back of the trans can be slightly different from year to year. If its different it can get in the way of drive shaft, and make it seem to short. The dust cover just presses in, so you can snap it off to check the fit on the driveshaft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

I did take my Driveshaft with me to the junkyard, and I found a driveshaft there that would have fit, but the u-joint on that one was almost as bad as on the one I am replacing.

I found a site (Rockford Drivetrain) that sells replacement u-jonts for staked in "non-replaceable" type u-joints, and has instructions, so I'm going to look into that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had my u-joints on my driveshaft rebuilt. In Houston, TX there is a shop that does it. I have had it done several times. I am not sure this is the best route to go. I wish I had kept better records because I don't always remember which one was rebuilt, so I don't know how long they have lasted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
need new u-joints?

i have a 1993 nissan hardbody and two of the u joints went, i have learnt how to change them, i can do it for anyone who needs it done they would have to contact me at [email protected] and be willing to pay for shipping, labour, and of course the u joint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts